Data Recovery Issue

urfriendlyvirus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I am in quite a pickle. Now I have a hard drive that had Pepsi spilled on the computer. So I cleaned off the connections with a little bit of rubbing alcohol, but nothin. I need to extract data from a HDD that is refusing to connect. Well the real issue is the Hardware ID is missing. So the drive is a Hatachi drive, but when connected is says it is a Initio RoT (Special characters) USB Device. Now I updated everything associated to this and still nothing. I am using a USB to SATA connector. Apricorn to be precise ( http://bit.ly/nhycdG ).

My computer recognized that it is a USB Mass Storage Device, but it can't find the driver for the HDD.

If anyone know's how to fix this, please respond.

Thanks!

-UrFriendlyVirus

Solution
Your Hardware IDs screen is reporting the name of the USB-SATA bridge chip inside the enclosure (Initio), but not the drive behind it. There will probably be a large square INIC-16xx IC on the bridge board.

Does your BIOS detect the drive when it is connected to your motherboard's SATA port?

BTW, if you decide to replace the HDD's PCB, you will need to transfer its 8-pin serial NVRAM chip to your donor. If you upload a detailed photo of your PCB, I can identify the chip for you.

urfriendlyvirus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Nope. See it's missing the hardware ID's. Like this.
PkSc3.png

-UrFriendlyVirus

hide04

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
see if you can see residue of the Pepsi on the circuit board of the hard drive, there might be a shorted pin on on one of the ICs.
does it sound good when it spins up?

Your Hardware IDs screen is reporting the name of the USB-SATA bridge chip inside the enclosure (Initio), but not the drive behind it. There will probably be a large square INIC-16xx IC on the bridge board.

Does your BIOS detect the drive when it is connected to your motherboard's SATA port?

BTW, if you decide to replace the HDD's PCB, you will need to transfer its 8-pin serial NVRAM chip to your donor. If you upload a detailed photo of your PCB, I can identify the chip for you.

Solution

urfriendlyvirus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for all your help guys/girls. You were all helpful, except rachard1583. I think you have the wrong forum.... Anyway, the owner just requests the destruction of the drive. A waste, but it's their property.

-UrFriendlyVirus

Latest posts