Hi
I have a Hard disk as result of that I have many drives in my

computer (C, D, E, F, G, H and I), one of my drive (G)does

not show the size of space on it and when I tried to open it ,

it say that the drive is not formatted and do you want to

formatted...
I have most of my work in that drive (G)and I can't format

it. May you help me tell me to open the drive without

formatting please and I will be grateful to you.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Use your XP CD to boot the sysstem and select the first Repair option. At the Command Prompt, type chkdsk /r and let the five stage process run its course. Using the /r switch will tell the system to find and fix any disk errors.

If that doesn't do it, there is a risky procedure that I've used several times. When asked to formatx the disk select yes and tick for a quick format in NTFS. As soon as that is finished, download Recuva from http://www.piriform.com and use it to recover whatever data it can. It sounds drastic but you have few other choices.

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

cant say i have ever tried it but i like your thinking, might have to try that with a usb hdd that is in the same state

I did it as recently as Wednesday and got away with it - again. There is a risk but in that circumstance, I retrieved 20.0Gb of pictures and music. I'm working on another one now where I've used a Linux Live CD to mount a laptop hard disk that Windows cannot. I'm copying out the entire Docs and Settings folders before doing anything else. In that case, I think ntfs.sys has fallen over so M$ can't see its own file structure.

I always post there's a risk to this and I haven't made it work with Rest2514 or other utilities except Recuva. I must stress that it has to be a quick format - that light skim over seems to be more easily recoverable.