TV tuner & CableCARD

luke_4_mls

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Hello

I'm gearing up for a build. I want to use it as a DVR. Microsoft says I need two cards to record and watch at the same time. True? If I split the source - one to the TV, one to the PC - would I just need one card?

Right now I have Insight (cable). I assume I would need to get a CableCARD from Insight. True? What if I switch to DirectTV? (cable company sucks) Would I still require a CableCARD from DirectTV?

Can someone suggest a tuner card compatible with CableCARDs?

Thanks

Solution
If you need to do this right now (can't wait until Q1 2010), then you need a TV Tuner Card. There are two ways to connect:

1) From the wall socket ---> Cable Set Top Box --> TV Tuner Card
This, in effect, removes the TV Tuner capability of the TV Tuner Card. You still need to use the cable box to change channels.

2) From the wall socket --> TV Tuner Card
This will use the full functionality of the TV Tuner Card (allows you to change channels) however, any channels that Insight Communications sends to you scrambled, will not be detected. Only channels sent via clearQAM will be available.

The purpose of the CableCard slot tuner is to allow you to lease a CableCard from your cable company, install it into your Computer and in this way...
well, you don't need a tv tuner as they can't use a cablecard (none of them), you need a cableCard tuner (its pretty much the same thing) and well, there aren't many out there seems how they just made this open to DIY, the only way i have been seeing this work is by grabbing a used one from a media center pc

Ceton is making a dual, quad, and hex cableCard tuner that is supposed to (according to them) come out Q1 2010

remember if you split the source to the tv you would need a box to decrypt most of the channels (broadcast is not encrypted and a regular tv tuner can see these as long as they support clearQAM) so it may be better to get 2 tuners (though they make dual tuners and ceton is making 2x,4x,6x tuners in one package)

luke_4_mls

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I just want to clarify. There is not a Tuner on the market for cableCards. I would have to buy a part from a cannibalized media center pc unless Ceton releases its cards by early next year. Correct?

Is it better to run two lines to the card or one to the TV and one the PC? Should I just add a DVR to my subscription? I don't really know the advantages.

luke_4_mls

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I've done some web surfing, and now the issue is less clear than before. Please help me.

Here's all the necessary info (and maybe some extra):
I'm building a Core i5 PC to run windows 7. I have a cable subscription with a cable box (through Insight Communications - Evansille, IN). I want to use Windows 7 Media Center to make my computer a DVR.

How do I make this work?

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you need to do this right now (can't wait until Q1 2010), then you need a TV Tuner Card. There are two ways to connect:

1) From the wall socket ---> Cable Set Top Box --> TV Tuner Card
This, in effect, removes the TV Tuner capability of the TV Tuner Card. You still need to use the cable box to change channels.

2) From the wall socket --> TV Tuner Card
This will use the full functionality of the TV Tuner Card (allows you to change channels) however, any channels that Insight Communications sends to you scrambled, will not be detected. Only channels sent via clearQAM will be available.

The purpose of the CableCard slot tuner is to allow you to lease a CableCard from your cable company, install it into your Computer and in this way, decrypt all scrambled channels you subscribe to (and record on to your PC).

Hope this helps
-Wolf sends

Solution

luke_4_mls

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Your spot on, wolf.

Card I need now: ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner ($200+)
Card I need later: Ceton Multi-Channel Cable TV Card ($TBD)
both require a CableCARD

I was unable to find a viable solution for DirecTV (especially for HD). STICK WITH CABLE for MCE:
Your spot on, wolf. Card I need now: ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner ($200+) Card I need later: Ceton Multi-Channel Cable TV Card ($TBD) both require a CableCARD I was unable to find a viable solution for DirecTV (especially for HD). STICK WITH CABLE for MCE: Microsoft vs. DirecTV. If this gets resolved, then maybe I could go DirecTV.

G

-------------------

From the wall socket ---> [SPLITS] --> RF in set top box | RF in TV Tuner with cablecard

Thanks