MY HDD missing about 300gigs

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I have windows 7 home premium with 3 hdds
1 with windows (750gb)
1 with backups and other stuff (750gb)
1 and my mass storage (2tb)

I was dbaning a hdd for my friend and i made a smart move and left my 2tb hdd connect and i noticed it being dban for about 2 seconds then i immediately stopped it. I lost the data (which i didnt rly care about since i got it back on my own within a week (didnt use a recovery option) and all was good.

Before getting back my data i had to partition my 2tb hdd to get it to work again.... i did and all went well. After some time i notice that my hdd was filling up a lot faster then expected so i check it and made sure all the space was accounted for when i found out its missing about 300gigs of storage. When i partition it it was fine (1.81tb)

so now to confirm i move all that data to my other drives(external) and im sitting at 1.50 out of 1.81 and there is nothing in there at all no hidden folders either. Any1 have any idea whats going on and how i can retrieve my 300gigs?

Thanks in advance... oh i almost for its a Hitachi 2tb 32mb cache sata 6.0gb/s

heres a newegg link >.> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145475

Solution
at rachard1583:

hmm, not sure what you meant by saying it is a limitation of the OS. Anytime you want to format when new (not initialized) or after you palyed with the partitions or accidently did something bad you should always go the the disk management tools (Administrative Tools/Computer Management) and delete the partitions until there is nothing left (if redoing a drive) and then rebuild them to ensure they meet your needs. Otherwise you may have space allocated that you don't know about. Also, whats this about a service pack, you dont need a service pack to do this on windows 7, its built into the basic install, unless my professional has it and premium doesn't, that would be silly.
rachard1583: WHAT?

OP: Have you checked Disk Management to see if the whole drive is one partition?

Go to Start>Computer>right-click>Manage>choose Disk Management in the left pane.

You'll see a graphically picture of your hard drives, size, use, and partitions.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
at rachard1583:

hmm, not sure what you meant by saying it is a limitation of the OS. Anytime you want to format when new (not initialized) or after you palyed with the partitions or accidently did something bad you should always go the the disk management tools (Administrative Tools/Computer Management) and delete the partitions until there is nothing left (if redoing a drive) and then rebuild them to ensure they meet your needs. Otherwise you may have space allocated that you don't know about. Also, whats this about a service pack, you dont need a service pack to do this on windows 7, its built into the basic install, unless my professional has it and premium doesn't, that would be silly.

Solution

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
@ rachard1583 are you talking about windows xp maybe? o.0

@foscooter, i checked disk management. thats like the first place i went to. its all 1 partition.

@Zenthar, i thought i did but i found 50gigs of stuff in there (after i empty my hdd) so now im up to 1.55 out of 1.81 thanks.

@ gokanis, yea i think that is what i am gonna end up doing, since i already backed up all the data that was on it