Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Getting a G mb for new system, 890? what memory?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2010 9:25:23 PM

So I read the system builders marathon articles, and looked at the features and decided to build around a
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For memory I was pointed to:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM for $119

Then I started thinking about USB 3 and SATA 6G/S and was thinking about the
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3

What memory would be a good fit for this board? Same? Try and get some CL9?

More about : system 890 memory

Best solution

a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 10:10:57 PM

Quote:
USB 3 and SATA 6G/S and was thinking about the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H

Neither is worth a damn, at the moment! May be in the future - remains to be seen... There are no SATA devices (even SLC SDDs) that can use the bandwidth, and an old-fashioned Intel ICH can still kick the Marvell's @$$:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
USB3 may become 'useable' quicker, but they're having the devil's [:lorbat:8] own time trying to get controllers to work that fast - most can only work by 'paralleling' a pair of controllers, which is expensive, both in fab cost and heat generation [:lorbat:3] - for the time being, USB3 flash drives will be pricey, and have to have metal cases for heat dissipation (which makes 'em even more pricey!)...
That said, they're always 'future-proofing'; eventually, they're bound to get something working, if you don't mind updating drivers once a month (week?)!

The only person I've worked with here that has an 890 seems pretty pleased with it, though we haven't yet OC'd his BE, or tweaked his DDR3-1600... Try to get the memory with the lowest latency you can afford, at a reasonable speed - 1600, or 1333. Raw clock speed matters little - latencies matter a lot!

I've got a little 'tool' here, that allows comparing latencies, at varying clock speeds:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yizmaza3kaz

Try to get some RAM specifically certified for AMDs - Intel XMP will make your job harder...
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 10:35:28 PM

Yeah, I like bilbat's suggestions. I'd say its worth it to build around the 890gx, even though you may have a few growing pains..Going to be doing that for my niece, although I am considering giving her my 790gx and keeping the 890 for me ;)  In the future these interfaces will be useful, though they aren't so much right now.

I hear good things about the gskill ripjaws series of ram. I like OCZ and I have seen kits from them DDR3 1600 at cl7. I recommend you look at cl7 kits.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 10:46:58 PM

I've had absolutely excellent experience with G.Skill, both here, helping with OCs, and for the systems I do for myself, as well as the inevitable, endless parade of 'for a buddy of a buddy' setups - they're getting like Picasso's - everyone who sees one wants one [:fixitbil:7]
March 29, 2010 1:18:46 AM

I'd go with the 790 personally but I like to stay away from the first gen of a new chipset. Once they've released a few more 890's they look like they'll be the chipset to get... just my 2 bits.
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 1:43:41 AM

Quote:
but I like to stay away from the first gen of a new chipset

Or new CPUs - like the bubonic plague! I still won't do i7s - they had exactly one 'second gen' board, with the PCIe termination problems fixed (GA-EX58-UD3R, rev 1.6/1.7) before it was 'off to the races' again, this time with new USB3/SATA3 'junque'! I'll invest in a SATA3/USB3 solution when Intel deigns to provide one - 'till then, I'm guessing my first i7 will be a server board with a Xeon [:bilbat:7]
April 2, 2010 1:36:55 PM

Best answer selected by Non-Euclidean.
!