Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5Q Pro not posting--please help!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2010 9:26:41 PM

So, just to clarify, this computer WAS working up until now--I don't think anything is "broken", per se, I just think configured incorrectly.

Here's the issue: in honor of Spring Cleaning, I took some parts out of my computer (video card, audio card, hard drives, heatsink and re-did thermal paste, etc.) dusted them, and placed them all back in the case.

I had some complications getting the rig to boot back up (had some things unplugged and such), but eventually got the computer to boot. So, I went into my BIOS to change the boot priority to my SATA disc drive so I can do a reformat of Windows, and this is where it all went down.

I tried to change the boot order, but my BIOS froze (I've never heard of a BIOS freezing; this was bizarre to me), so I held the power button on the front of my computer until it shut off. I turned the computer back on, and lo & behold, nothing from my displays: the fans turned on, the LEDs turned on, but I saw nothing on my displays and neither my keyboard nor mouse appear to be on.

I Googled around and saw that I should reset the CMOS. I do this--first tried just removing the battery for 10 minutes, then did the little jumper trick--but that solved nothing; I really hit a brick wall and have no idea what to do now; could someone shed some light on the situation?

If you need anymore specs, just ask...thanks to anyone who tries to help!

More about : asus p5q pro posting

March 28, 2010 10:11:06 PM

Just tried swapping the card (4870) out with an old 7900 and no difference...so I think we can rule out the GFX card, right?
m
l
March 29, 2010 3:34:27 AM

Try reseating the RAM. Try to not put too much force when putting the RAM in.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2010 5:02:22 AM

stridervm said:
Try reseating the RAM. Try to not put too much force when putting the RAM in.

Tried that...didn't change anything.

I've been talking to a friend and he suggested that I take the rig apart and build just the essentials (mobo, cpu, video card, psu, ram) on some cardboard and then try resetting the CMOS....I've done all this but still no luck :??: 

Any ideas? Getting sorta desperate here...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 92 V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 6:27:23 AM

Welcome to my h3ll. I lost my P5K-E doing my cleaning. I didn't redo the thermal paste, but I took everything out, cleaned, and put it back together. Never came back up. Time for a new mobo.
m
l
March 29, 2010 7:21:01 PM

4745454b said:
Welcome to my h3ll. I lost my P5K-E doing my cleaning. I didn't redo the thermal paste, but I took everything out, cleaned, and put it back together. Never came back up. Time for a new mobo.

Yeah, seems like we may be on the same boat; I'm gonna try to test out everything with a different PSU, but if that doesn't work, then, "time for a new mobo."
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 7:49:17 PM

Does the HSF feel loose at all?

Do you have a motherboard speaker? You could be missing beep codes.
m
l
!