Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA-X58A-UD5 + 1600 ocz cold boot issues

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2010 9:39:37 PM

Running brandy new i7 930, GA-X58A-UD5, OCZ3G1600LV6GK, PC Power & Cooling silencer 750w, windows 7 x64, Apogee XT watercooling.

I found settings on here previously that I tried:

8-8-8-24 command rate {2}
tRFC 88

qpi/vtt voltage 1.335
dram 1.66v

Here is my problem.. when i'm running the computer stock 2.8.. it seems to work ok, But i didn't buy an i7 to run it stock

So I *thought* I had it stable at 4.0ghz. Ran the system 200*20 for a few days. Memtest86+ ran with no issues, linX for several passes no issues.

The problem is when I shut down the computer and let it cool down. Come back in a couple hours and boot.. the first stick of ram won't register properly. It shows in bios where it's recommended timings should say 7-7-7-18 etc.. it just shows the first number 7 and the rest are -'s

The really strange thing is.. when i get the computer all warmed up to normal operation temp i can go back to the 4 ghz setting and all 3 sticks show.

If it didn't properly register in bios and I load windows 7 in the system info page it reads 6.00gb ram (4.00 usuable)

I'm going out of my tree. I tried upping every voltage a few times that had to do with ram other than the vdimm and still nothing..
If i drop the ram mulitplier and run the ram at 1200 instead of 1600 it seems to work fine but i would like my 1600mhz ram to run at just that.

Bad ram? Bad Settings? The whole warmed up thing has got me freaked.

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 9:50:12 PM

First likely thing to investigate: 'disappearing' memory, or weird memory 'symptoms', usually are bent/distorted socket pins in the CPU socket; Intel guide to examination here:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030850.ht...

GB OC guides here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?txzi1tmf22g
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5moyzjmqvtv

...but check the socket first! It's, nineteen times out of twenty, pins!
March 28, 2010 10:50:31 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I've definitely run into the socket examination from all the googling i've done about this. I'm dreading it.. but stopped and picked up a tube of ic diamond 7 and a magnifying glass.

I'll inspect the socket tonight, however i was so very careful. Guess anything is possible.
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 11:23:24 PM

It appears that pretty much breathing hard on 'em will bent the &^%$ things!
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 1:23:14 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
March 29, 2010 2:16:38 AM

So that wasn't helpful r_manic since i though if i clicked your link it would bring me to another thread that was helpful.. instead you padded your stats. gj. Please UNsolve it since it's not resolved.

Anyway.. i inspected the pins very closely and everything is good.. i'll post back with some results after a few cool downs
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 2:27:52 AM

How many DIMMs?

Might want to try this:
d/l CPU-tweaker:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/CPU-Tweaker.zip
run it, and post back both the main screen, and the one that pops up when you click the 'SPD' button - will let us compare what the memory 'thinks' it should run at, with how it's actually 'setting up'...
March 29, 2010 9:52:35 PM

OP - did you resolve your issue? Can't tell from the thread and I'm also seeing cold-boot issues.

Thanks!
March 29, 2010 11:03:52 PM

Well I came home today having left the computer off in completely stock settings to see if it was related to the overclock. It wasn't. The memory still didn't show... but in lightning time from another recommendation i powered down, took about 3/4th's of a turn off the waterblock to take some of the pressure off the socket.. rebooted and all 6 gigs showed.

Not sure if it had heated up in time or if it is solved. Currently i'm about to power down for a few hours and try it again. I'll keep you updated.
March 30, 2010 12:07:52 AM

I think I've gotten the right answer I needed.

Looks like the apogee xt block with all it's clamping force might have been too much and warping my socket.

I backed off the screws about 3/4th's a turn each.. let the computer cool for about an hour and fired it up.. it recognized all 3 sticks no problem.
Yay.

The real test is when i let it cool overnight and try it tomorrow morning.. but I'm feeling good about this. Especially since my cpu temps haven't changed.
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 30, 2010 1:01:41 AM

[:bilbat:1] Thanks for posting back - it adds to the 'repertoire'; same problem, different 'root cause' - torque the socket, poor pin contact...
March 30, 2010 3:26:20 PM

nope.. not fixed... running memtest for a marathon.. usually only give it about 30 mins.

March 30, 2010 8:40:42 PM

Starting to sound similar to my problem:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I'm also having cold boot issues. First the thing has to restart 3 times every morning, just to come up with display issues. When warm it's fine.

If I change memory settings to spec 8-8-8-8-24 1.65V every thing runs fine and can reboot fine without problem if the machine is already warm. Next time I cold boot, it complains of an overvoltage problem and resets everything.

I'm also using a core i7-930 and a Gigabyte board, though mine is GA-X58-UD3R.

The latest thing Gigabyte has recommended is to flash the bios, but QFlash does not detect my mem stick, even though the bios sees it in the boot priority list and win7 sees it as a drive. I've tried every usb port.

Frustrating!
March 30, 2010 8:46:32 PM

Well I am tired of it and i'm going to start swapping out gear.

I just ordered a 6 gig kit from g.skill with tighter timings and lower voltages (1.5v) 7-8-7-24 and a XMP profile.

Hopefully this will solve everything.
March 30, 2010 9:26:58 PM

NGL_BrSH said:
Well I am tired of it and i'm going to start swapping out gear.

I just ordered a 6 gig kit from g.skill with tighter timings and lower voltages (1.5v) 7-8-7-24 and a XMP profile.

Hopefully this will solve everything.

What's the part number? I might do the same. I'm considering a mobo swap too. Giga support has been fairly slow for me, at least per email.
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 30, 2010 10:19:09 PM

Flash stick has to be formatted as FAT32 for the BIOS to see it, and "Enable" the "Legacy USB storage detect" (later BIOS say "USB Storage Function") on the "Integrated Peripherals" page, when, on your next boot, you intend to either access a USB from the BIOS, or boot to a USB - all other times - off!
March 30, 2010 10:24:00 PM

Model #: F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI g skill

I'll post back on friday/sat with my findings and the new ram
March 31, 2010 1:56:45 AM

bilbat said:
Flash stick has to be formatted as FAT32 for the BIOS to see it, and "Enable" the "Legacy USB storage detect" (later BIOS say "USB Storage Function") on the "Integrated Peripherals" page, when, on your next boot, you intend to either access a USB from the BIOS, or boot to a USB - all other times - off!

I did FAT32 and Enabled Legacy USB Storage detect and tried every single USB port and still QFlash could not find it.
March 31, 2010 3:31:44 AM

Ok, the board finally detected my USB stick and I was able to flash the bios.

The difference was that I made the USB stick bootable even though I didn't boot from it. I guess QFlash looks for some of the boot files to be there before it recognizes the stick. Gigabyte really needs to update their docs.
March 31, 2010 4:36:21 AM

so did the flash fix your problem?
March 31, 2010 4:45:21 AM

Won't know until tomorrow... cold boot problem... means I have to wait. Seems to take a whole day or overnight.... Irritating.
March 31, 2010 1:12:32 PM

Yes. that is my problem exactly. The flash unfortunately didn't fix it for me.

What cooling are you using on your processor?
March 31, 2010 3:44:21 PM

I'm using a noctua u12p se2.

March 31, 2010 5:23:17 PM

did you ever pull the cpu and check for bent pins.. apparently it's helped many others.. I pulled mine but it's not the case unfortunately.
March 31, 2010 7:54:51 PM

Not yet, because I'm leary of having to remove the HSF and clean/reapply the thermal compound. Might even have to remove the mobo.

Do you think bent pins could case cold boot issue but still allow fine warm operation? Seems like a bent pin would just hose the whole thing.

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 31, 2010 8:47:39 PM

Quote:
case cold boot issue but still allow fine warm operation

If you have an older (non-electronic) heating thermostat in your house/apartment - that's exactly how it works (of course, in an exaggerated fashion - it's got a 'bi-metallic' strip) - one temp, one shape - different temp, different shape...
March 31, 2010 9:37:10 PM

Interesting. So warming up the CPU might cause the pin to bend back into shape and hence contact correctly?

Wow. I'll check the pins.

Any recommendations for cleaning and reapplying the thermal compound. I've read rubbing alcohol works well.

This is my first build and I've never removed a heat sink...
March 31, 2010 9:48:16 PM

I use 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and it works great for me.

I would think it's more the cpu chip and heatspreader expanding as it warms making contact with a bent pin.. not sure.

all I know is I looked mine over to rule it out before I decided to RMA it.
April 3, 2010 1:54:53 PM

I gave up and returned the ram and swapped out the board for a new one just in case.

I went with G skill lower voltage (1.5v) and tighter timings (7-8-7) ram. Another nice thing is it had the XMP with all the extended settings.

I put it all together and it worked fine first boot... however the big test was letting it get cold over night and then this morning seeing if it recognized all the ram. It did. :D 

Thanks for all the posts helping me try to solve this.
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 2:15:58 PM

As a favor to the next poor soul - might be a good thing to post back the actual G.Skill part number that worked so well...
April 3, 2010 5:41:44 PM

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBP
7-8-7-24-2N
voltage 1.5v
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 6:22:32 PM

Thanks! [:bilbat:5] I'll save a pointer to this, for the next inquiry [:isamuelson:8]
April 3, 2010 8:08:51 PM

NP, XMP works really well btw.
!