PC powerful enough for Re5 and Crysis?

G

hi,
can anyone tell me if my pc is powerful enough to run crysis and resident evil 5 on max settings?

core i 7 950
2 4870x2 in quadfire
6 gig fram
vista 64.

For some reason the games run well except for when theres a lot to render on the screen and I take a massive fps hit.
I may go from 50 to under 20!

I also noticed that when I run re5 in dx9 it seems to run better than it does in dx10? why is that??

should I be able to run these two games well, with good fps 40+ on high settings??

I have the latest drivers from ATI too??

ideas?
thank you

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
If you really have all that you shouldn't be having much a problem with Resident Evil; Crysis should run decent. Resident Evil runs faster in DX9 than in DX10 because DX10 enables more "eye candy" and thus requires more processing power.

You should be using at least a 1000W 80 PLUS rated power supply with two 4870X2 I'd say.

G

I do have all that and arent two 4870x2's more than enough power, even in dx10 to run the game with all the eyecandy on??
why the hit in fps?

would i be better off enabling catalyst?

I would think with the hardware I have, I should run anything at high rest, max settings and it should run smooth..
if not it must be softwar.e.

but re5 is optimized for the core i7 too

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Crysis is a GPU HOG! Even todays Newest hardware struggles to run crysis @ max settings @ 1080p...even in Xfire!

The fact that you are using quadfire has something to do with your FPS drops aswell...using SLi/Xfire configs results in Low 'Minimum FPS' scores....not sure the reason for that tho.

G

does it make sense to upgrade to a 5850 or 5870? i just got this back in july..
are there any games that support quadfire?

jennyh

Splendid
The more graphics cards you have, the more you lose per card. Two 4870x2's should be awesome but don't think of them as running like four 4870's would, it is closer to 3 4870's and that is still with driver issues in crossfire.

You should still be getting really good framerates in everything however. Try oc'ing your cpu a bit and that should help.

Two 4870x2s should be able to run Crysis maxed out at 1920x1080. And by maxed out I mean, everything on Very High (or Ultra High with mods) and AA turned up nearly all the way.

...and the average fps will be a good deal above 30.

Hell, I'm basically planning to do Crysis at 1920x1080 at VeryHigh (maybe UltraHigh) and AAx4 with only 2 4870s in Xfire.

And even 1 4870 should be able to max out RE5. So 2 4870x2s should be able to render RE5 maxed out without breaking a sweat.

G

Crysis ran well once I turned up the fan speed..
do you think i would be safe to over clock the card..from 507mhz to 800 mhz?

Did i waste money by getting two cards because i wanted to play games at high settings no exceptions.. or does it totally depend on the game?
seems like it totally depends on the game and ATI's support for it..

Am I good to go for a while with what ive got?
I keep reading that while the 4870x2 are older..in some cases they do a good job of holding their own thus far against the new line..

G

I just enabled quadfire and turned up the mhz on the card..AND turned on fraps.. with AA at 2x I got 35 fps. Shouldn't i be able to run the game with AA at 8x and max settings??
im confused.
Once I turn on 4xaa Im lucky if I get 17-20 fps!?

Should I be dissappinted with my fps considering i just got this system?
any suggestions??

I run games like bioshock and deadspace GREAT, but I dont think those games are as involved as re5 and crysis..
isnt it safe to say that crysis is THE most intenst game for a gpu to handle to date??

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
I just enabled quadfire and turned up the mhz on the card..AND turned on fraps.. with AA at 2x I got 35 fps. Shouldn't i be able to run the game with AA at 8x and max settings??
im confused.
Once I turn on 4xaa Im lucky if I get 17-20 fps!?

Should I be dissappinted with my fps considering i just got this system?
any suggestions??

I run games like bioshock and deadspace GREAT, but I dont think those games are as involved as re5 and crysis..
isnt it safe to say that crysis is THE most intenst game for a gpu to handle to date??

What resolution are you gaming at?
I've read some reviews where the 4870x2 quad actually performs worse than a single 4870x2, but the drivers might have changed that.

The power coming off that quad setup is crazy.
Dual gpu and/or crossfire setups don't perform twice as good as a single card.

A single 4870x2 beats the 5870 in most tests.
I have a 5850 running at 1920x1080 and it runs crysis smoothly at very high.
If I were you, I'd sell those 4870x2s on ebay for $280 a pop and buy yourself 2x5850 in crossfire :p

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Make sure your PSU is supplying enough juice for your system. Is everything running at acceptable temperatures inside your case? If I were you, I'd run a bunch of benchmark tests to see if everything is within parameters, then compare the results with other systems built with similar hardware. Good luck!

Cheers

G

If I were to sell these cards on ebay, Id want the top of the line ATI in crossfire, even if I had to pay a little extra out of pocket.
Which card would that be?

Also, my benchmarks were never right for some reason.
What is the best benchmark software to use 3dmar06 or 3dvantage?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

completely false. dx10 RE5 dont add eye candy as oppose to dx9 RE5. theres an article from toms or anands that investigated this. dx10 on re5 is a requirement for nvidia's 3dvision or something like that.

even though dx10 re5 is slower benchmarkwise, it loads faster compared to a dx9.

ridic23

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Wow....thats an overkill for a system....You have an extremely powerful rig.....I wonder why u get problems in fps.....Even with my i7 920 and 295 i can run re5 at max settings without breaking a sweat....i do run it on dx10 which seems to be much faster and smoother.....With crysis i can run it in ultra high but the last level or so the fps seems to drop drastically but that wont be the case with yours u can easily run in super resolutions like 2560x1440....i very much doubt your psu....with that config u need a good 1200 watts the least.....

G

ridic,
Thats what I thought. I figured I had enough power here to run anything my heart desired, games that is, in al their glory!

I did notice that running re5 dx9 mode runs NICE..all settins at the max res at 1680 by..whatever the other number is.. at 4xaa

But when I switch to dx10..with 4xaa and it takes a huge fps hit..I was running 17 fps.

I purposely chose dual 4870x2's to get the max power with the core i7 950 im running..

I wish I knew.
I have a 1200 ps as well..

not sure why Im having fps issues..

could it be that games that arent ati optimized?

Definitely not. I have a pair of 4870x2s, and they can run Crysis perfectly at 1920x1200 (the res I play at), very high, 2xAA. They'll pull 4x if you don't mind dips into the 20s. 8x is simply too much (though I haven't tried it with the latest drivers - I'll probably play through Crysis again once I get win7 installed with the latest drivers, and it might have improved). A single 4870x2 can pull it at 1920x1200 no AA, maybe 2x if you don't mind dips into the 20s. 4x will be pushing it though.

vjcsmoke

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I think you must be lacking a crossfire driver for RE5. Because my single 5870 blows up RE5 at over 100 FPS average and never dropping below 80 FPS. This is with 8xAA, max details, and 1920x1080 resolution.

ridic23

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I dont think so.....as far as the news and reviews go the 5870 is much faster than a single 4870x2 but not faster than 2 of those combined.....You can try the game with one 4870x2 and see whether the performance goes as desired.....or else update the drivers and stuff.....or u try out the game in windows 7.....this may help u single out what the problem is....

G

the newest catalyst drivers 9.9 have support for crossfire. I spoke to ATI support and they make sense. They told me that it could be different factors that is why the game may run poorly.
first is it optimized for ati?
are the card temps running high?
driver versions..
is the game older ?
he also mentioned that vista 64 isnt the best gaming platform...its ok not great.

but I cant figure out why, shouldnt i be able to run dx10 games in all their glory with ease with this kind of hardware??