scunny37

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Been trying to find a pcb for a 2TB Samsung HD203WI Rev.A hdd but with no look so far.

I have tried some of the links I found on here, e.g. hddzone, hdd-parts & harddrivepcb but none stock the board I'm after. Are there any other sites I can try?

Other info on the board:

Label on the black plastic strip where the connectors are reads

PAPXE36EA11930

Etched on the board below that is F3_4D Rev.01

Board number is BF41-00281A 00

I believe the HDD is also known as a Spinpoint F3EG SATA

The hdd appears to have been discontinued and I'm trying to avoid having to buy another one just for the board, assuming I can get the right revision.

Any help would be appreciated

scunny37

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
The drive doesn't spin, completely dead and doesn't power up when put into my pc.

However, continued searching the forum and read about the tvs diode and indeed one of mine was dead so cut it off and drive fired up and was recognised by the pc. So, have managed to get the data off which was the main thing.

Don't know how long the drive will run without the diode but do have another ext hdd now anyway

The TVS diode was the easy, no-cost DIY fix that I was referring to.

Congratulations. :)

BTW, if the drive has sustained no additional insidious damage, then it will run just as long without the diode as it would have with the diode. That's because the diode is essentially an open circuit at the normal working voltage.

scunny37

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks for the additional info re the fact that the drive will run as normal. No visible signs of any other damage on the board and it does seem to run ok.

Another bit of knowledge gained :)

pinkshirt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Could you please point me to where you found that? I am having the same issue, but I can't find this "Cut off TVS diode" post that you are referring to. Please share.

Thanks.

Prickles

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hi people, I think my board shorted out on when the pcb touched another hdd. Will cutting off the TVS diode work for me or is my fault likely to be elsewhere.

Cheers, Paul

Prickles

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hi, I do have a multimeter somewhere although I have to idea how to use it. I shall dig it out and then learn how to use it with the help of google.
Is it possible for me to do more damage than good?
Obviously that's a yes to the actual pcb but how about to the data on the platters?
Thanks for your assistance.

Prickles

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
So I got a new multimeter and have set it to 200k on the ohms setting, is that right?
The TVS read
12v = 89.2 one way and 26.5 the other.
5v = 02.5 both ways
5v fuse = 0.00
I have no idea what this means.
Cheers.

Prickles

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
set on diode mode the readings are
12v = 772 one way and remains at 1 the other
5v = 504 one way the other it jumps to different numbers, sometimes 1800 odd others 700 odd and the goes back to 1.

JoeriB

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello everyone.

I think the same thing might have happened to my samsung hdd.
The drive was inside of a external hdd enclosure.
One morning, I couldnt get it to power up.
I looked at the adapter and there was cable break. I then tried a different adapter only to find out it was the wrong voltage, yes I know, this was stupid. I didnt realise this at the time and I went and got a replacement adapter.
Turns out the hdd enclosure was broken.

So I then put the samsung drive into a new hdd enclosure of the same type as the last one and I try to turn it on, only the drive wont spin up.
The light on the hdd enclosure keeps flickering, but thats it. The drive makes no sound, doesnt spin up, it does zero.

I think a diode on the pcb might have been fried. I took a look at the DIY method, but this is was beyond my skill. There is important data on the drive but I dont have the money for a data recovery firm, so im at my wits end here.
Any ideas? I know noone that can do this Diode thing for me.