New builder need help

I am a new builder and I'm going to build a PC for my uncle and I know how to build it but I'm not sure about the software. What do I install after I'm done with the build and how do I do it?
5 answers Last reply
More about builder help
  1. Well, there is Windows 7:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

Or, Ubuntu Linux:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

Those two I recommend as of now. Are you asking about Operating Systems or software? Because that question is way to general to simply answer.
  2. OK for your uncle means windows.

I would install windows, openoffice, firefox, flash, java, and acrobat reader.
  3. 1) Install Windows OS by turning on your PC, hit the "del" key to enter into your BIOS. Search your BIOS for boot sequence and have it set to boot from DVD first. Save your BIOS
    2) Install your OS disk into the DVD, boot your PC and follow through the on screen prompts untill it is completed installed.
    3) Install your board, sound & video card drivers.
    4) Install Apps and Games as you require.

Once built, I recommend running Prime95 to ensure your system is stable from heat or any other possible errors. Memtest86 is another good program to test the stability of your RAM.
  4. tecmo34 said:
    1) Install Windows OS by turning on your PC, hit the "del" key to enter into your BIOS. Search your BIOS for boot sequence and have it set to boot from DVD first. Save your BIOS
    2) Install your OS disk into the DVD, boot your PC and follow through the on screen prompts untill it is completed installed.
    3) Install your board, sound & video card drivers.
    4) Install Apps and Games as you require.

Once built, I recommend running Prime95 to ensure your system is stable from heat or any other possible errors. Memtest86 is another good program to test the stability of your RAM.

Tecmo - are those free tools? I'd like to do that with my newly built system after I install 7 tonight. Will they run on 7 just fine?
  5. Yes... These programs are free to download!
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Software Systems