Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I fit this Graphics Card in?

Last response: in Components
December 26, 2009 5:51:29 PM

I have a bit of a problem, I got a new Graphics Card, the Radeon HD 4850x2 it cost a pretty penny for me and it took me a lot of work to actually obtain the card, anyway the card doesn't actually fit the case, it is less than a millimeter longer than the actual case. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do?

The Case is an Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

More about : fit graphics card

a b ) Power supply
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 26, 2009 6:10:31 PM

Metal shears or pliers to open up the hard drive bay. Is nuts how big some of these cards are.
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2009 6:11:35 PM

Can you cut into the case a little bit to provide additional room (case mod :D  )?

It is the hard drive cage, so you'll be safe removing about 1/2 inch or so with out damaging the structure of the case. If you don't feel comfortable with cutting into the case, I would look to replace the case instead of getting a new video card.
m
l
Related resources
a c 140 ) Power supply
a c 231 U Graphics card
December 26, 2009 6:15:10 PM

Return the card and exchange it for one that fits.

Based upon the review I read, it's 11.5 inches long. The 5850 performs on a comparable level and is 1 " shorter. Of course the $100 price premium is a bummer and one of the reasons that the 5850 hasn't done so well.

The 4890 is 9.5" one tier down and for about the same amount you can have twin GTS 250's (9.5") which would be a small step up in performance.

Otherwise, new case. Would not recommend cutting the case unless you are going to remove every singe component and use compressed air or water to wash out filings.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2009 6:25:57 PM

It doesn't fit the case? It's a milimeter longer than the actual case? I think you mean the available space inside the case is insufficient.

The Antec 300 is 18.30 inches from front to back.

The ATI Radeon HD 5850x2 is 11.5 inches long.

For a card that large you would probably need a case that is at least 20 inches from front to back.

My best advice is to get a new case with sufficient interior space for the card. If theat is not an option, then the only left to do is cut away part of the lower drive cage to make room for the card.
m
l
December 26, 2009 7:29:45 PM

Well, thanks for the advice it seems that it would be best to get a new case, any ideas on which is a good one?
m
l

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2009 7:38:35 PM

Hmmmm....You need a case that is at least 20 inches from front to back.

I have the Coolermaster HAF 932. It is a huge beast and it can definitely accomodate the video card. The case is 22.7 inches from front to back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!