Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My CPU keeps restarting after 1GB module installed

Last response: in Motherboards
March 29, 2010 1:34:17 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a 1GB module to add to the 512mb currently installed on my cpu.

After installing the chip in the slot A1 (see below), my cpu couldn't start properly. It actually kept restarting after reaching the "welcome" message of Windows XP.

What did I do wrong or what should I have done that I did not?

Thank you very much!

Here are the infos of the module:
Memory Technology: DDR 400 PC Rating: PC3200
Memory Capacity: 1GB
Memory Brand: Acer
Computer Type: Desktop PC Condition: New

Here are the infos of my cpu:
Acer Veriton 7600G Veriton
Board: Acer J88M A XXXXXXXX
512 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 256 MB
Slot 'A3' is Empty
a c 114 à CPUs
a c 80 } Memory
a c 234 V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 1:54:16 AM

It's your system that restarts, not the CPU. How many chips on the new memory module, 8 or 16? Is it certified to work in that system?

Edit: Is it fully inserted in the slot, i.e., did you hear a click from each end when you pushed on the module to lock it in place?
m
l
March 29, 2010 12:24:58 PM

There is 8 chips on the new memory module. I checked it on the Web and it is certified to work in that system.

Actually, the clip on the left wasn't 100% on but the one on the right was. I thought that'd be okay. You think that's this would be the reason why it did not work?

By the way, when I took it off and started my system I received twice a message saying that it sustained some major system error.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a c 114 à CPUs
a c 80 } Memory
a c 234 V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 9:00:45 PM

Did you put it back in and did you make sure that both clips are fully locked? A partially inserted module will definitely cause problems.

The error messages that you received are normal.
m
l
March 29, 2010 9:52:53 PM

Which slot did you put the new memory in? Certain motherboards can be a little bit picky on which slots you put the memory in. If you can, check the motherboard manual for the best slots to put the memory in.
m
l
April 1, 2010 4:57:37 AM

GhislainG said:
Did you put it back in and did you make sure that both clips are fully locked? A partially inserted module will definitely cause problems.

The error messages that you received are normal.

Okay thanks!
m
l
April 1, 2010 4:58:34 AM

imspecial said:
Which slot did you put the new memory in? Certain motherboards can be a little bit picky on which slots you put the memory in. If you can, check the motherboard manual for the best slots to put the memory in.

I will try the other one... especially since I'm having troubles locking on both clips in the one I tried.
Thanks!
m
l

Best solution

a c 114 à CPUs
a c 80 } Memory
a c 234 V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 11:59:30 AM

They have to lock.
April 11, 2010 4:54:11 AM

Best answer selected by elbeso.
m