Sign in with
Your question

Lost wireless connection after virus

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 15, 2010 3:37:32 PM

Hello,
On my laptop I picked up a crawling worm virus which Symantecx Virus checker could not contain - immediately ran Spybot and the whole system crashed. Was running Windows XP Pro installed by company (prior redundancy) on my laptop but only have Windows XP Home disks. Ran that recovery module which told me it could not repair but showed me that a lot of files appear intact. Have managed to install the Windows XP Home Edition (without deleting the Pro version) but am unable to connect with the internet where I could download more help. I have a netgear wireless router attached to a very old slow desktop which I am currently using. My laptop used to be able to pick up my router & any hotspots previously and although showing a 1394 net adapter connected, I am unable to reach the internet. I would like to retrieve Office 2003 and a couple of other programs if possible. Any help would be much appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2010 3:48:14 AM

Dawn21 said:
Hello,
On my laptop I picked up a crawling worm virus which Symantecx Virus checker could not contain - immediately ran Spybot and the whole system crashed. Was running Windows XP Pro installed by company (prior redundancy) on my laptop but only have Windows XP Home disks. Ran that recovery module which told me it could not repair but showed me that a lot of files appear intact. Have managed to install the Windows XP Home Edition (without deleting the Pro version) but am unable to connect with the internet where I could download more help. I have a netgear wireless router attached to a very old slow desktop which I am currently using. My laptop used to be able to pick up my router & any hotspots previously and although showing a 1394 net adapter connected, I am unable to reach the internet. I would like to retrieve Office 2003 and a couple of other programs if possible. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,
I'm no expert but just wondering if you've tried re-installing your wireless connection software on your laptop? Is the laptop HD working ok? It might only be a corrupted file. Norton should be able to tell you what files have been damaged or removed. After an infection like you have described, might I suggest you try to download (via your old computer if necessary) a copy of the 30 day free trial software, "A-Squared Anti-Malware" (it has anti-virus & anti-malware both). It also has a background guard. However, please disable your Norton software if possible. You can also download the standalone "A-Squared Free 4.5" which is a more basic anti-malware, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-worm software, but equally very good. Both can be downloaded from http://www.emsisoft.com The first one is updated every 20 mins or so automatically and runs in real time, whilst the 2nd one must be manually updated at least twice weekly or so & of course it can only be run manually, so cannot prevent an infection from actually entering your system, but will find it once run. I have the first one myself and I must say it is brilliant, and I can have it running alongside my other anti-virus program without any problems - it has caught several Trojans from entering my system recently and it also protects while surfing. Either one will clean your system & the first one will keep it clean. Hope you can get sorted. :)  Castleupton.
!