-GA-P55-UD3R
-4GB RAM DDR3-1600
-ATI Powercooler 4670 1GB PCI-E
-720W PSU
-TP-Link Wireless Card
-Logitech Wireless k/b & mouse
-Seagate 500Gb HDD
-2xSystem fans

It seems to be freezing (hardware lockup) after about 10-15mins of use. I have to restart manually.

I have checked the cpu temp which idles @ 28 deg c or lower, also did a prime95 stress and reached approx 60deg c for all 4 cores after 5mins or so (no system lockup during the stress test). & am using a small amount of thermal paste.

I am running WinXP PRO - SP3 with all updates. the only software installed is a Virus Scanner (AVG), also all drivers are fairly recent.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot or what to do next?

the only thing weird I can see is the usb receiver for the wireless k/b & mouse does not have a light on it any more (but the k/b & mouse still works).

thanks,

r0ma
October 9, 2009 2:13:10 AM

Hi All,

My +12V seems to be fluctuating between 9.70-14.0 this looks like it may be the problem, as I have read a 5% difference is acceptable but nothing more,

what do you think, is the PSU the problem? I have attached a screen print (the one all over the place is the +12v);

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3544/errorzz.jpg
October 9, 2009 5:04:05 AM

I would unplug everything and replug everything and make sure they are snug. If that fails try a fresh install of your OS. Also what brand PSU do you have? If its not the PSU it may be your Motherboard. If it is in fact your Motherboard RMA and wait for your replacement.
Related resources
October 9, 2009 5:48:14 AM

Hi,

I have replaced the PSU & the same problems are occuring. made sure everything is plugged in 10 times.

I have done a RAM test which passed, did a HDD test which past.

I can force the system to freeze by doing a big data copy, from one HDD to another. If I kick off a copy of say 100gb, 2mins later the system will freeze, it did the same thing when I was formatting a 500gb HDD.

but in saying that it has also frozen with just general surfing the net.

also regarding the +12v, in bios it reports a steady 12.4v or so (which it should be), in the windows program it still fluctuates (9v-13v) even after installing the new psu. no other voltage fluctuates, so not sure if there is still a problem here.

It sounds weird but when it freezes, first the mouse stops responding (the keyboard still works, plus I can still see banners on this website moving), then a few seconds later the whole thing will lock.
October 9, 2009 8:03:09 AM

I'm not a PC genius but since everything seems to be acting up and everything goes through the Motherboard, I think you will need to RMA the Motherboard.

Sweat it out for a few hours and see what other people say. I really think its the Motherboard though.
October 9, 2009 12:09:56 PM

Thanks,

just an update, I have removed 1 RAM stick and the system is now fine, I am yet to swap out the stick for the other to determine if its a problem with the actual stick or with the slot, etc.

strange that its memory related, I have only ever seen faulty ram prevent a system from booting, not freezing under load.
October 9, 2009 4:44:00 PM

That is weird it turned out to be your RAM. The thought crossed my mind but I was like "Who's RAM blows out these days?"

Best thing to do is process of elimination. Good work.
October 9, 2009 6:41:04 PM

BohleyK said:
That is weird it turned out to be your RAM. The thought crossed my mind but I was like "Who's RAM blows out these days?"

Best thing to do is process of elimination. Good work.

It's not weird at all that the problem turned out to be the RAM. That's easily the #1 cause of system freezes. The reason that one stick of RAM works is that you need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS. This is pretty common.

OP, I would manually set the RAM specs in the BIOS and try again with both sticks of RAM installed.
October 10, 2009 3:41:32 AM

Thanks, after punching in those settings it is working great now, the RAM is also running at the correct speed (1600) rather then 1333 as it was before.

any other tips? I see intel have the smart cpu feature where it runs the cpu at a lower fsb but jumps back to 2.6mhz when underload, is it a good idea to keep this on? I plan to do a slight overclock too, will need to reasearch some settings for this.
October 10, 2009 4:39:43 AM

r0ma said:
Thanks, after punching in those settings it is working great now, the RAM is also running at the correct speed (1600) rather then 1333 as it was before.

any other tips? I see intel have the smart cpu feature where it runs the cpu at a lower fsb but jumps back to 2.6mhz when underload, is it a good idea to keep this on? I plan to do a slight overclock too, will need to reasearch some settings for this.

You are talking about Turbo Boost. Keep that off if you overclock manually. Read some guides regarding temperatures, steps involved to overclock..etc
October 10, 2009 5:05:33 AM

Actually, it sounds like you're talking about SpeedStep. I would leave it enabled. It's an energy saving feature that doesn't hurt performance since the CPU goes back to full speed when under load. There's no reason to turn it off.
October 10, 2009 5:32:04 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
Actually, it sounds like you're talking about SpeedStep. I would leave it enabled. It's an energy saving feature that doesn't hurt performance since the CPU goes back to full speed when under load. There's no reason to turn it off.

Well there is a reason, and that's when benchmarking. Also, turning off SpeedStep would be good when overclocking because it can run 24/7 at a fast speed, but the disadvantage is that it consumes more power. It's really up to the OP, but remember turn off Turbo Boost when overclocking.
October 12, 2009 9:24:47 AM

Thought I will bump this rather then a new thread;

The pc has been fine but is now intermitantly slowing right down, the CPU appears to be running at a constant 38%+ on idle, jumping higher (50%) when I attempt to use the pc.

a screen print of the processors, looks like idle is taking up the juice.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8826/error2.jpg

any idea why? the system just dies right down and runs slower then my old 3500+ that I just replaced this new unit with, just want to get this damn thing sorted, kinda sucks spending the money I did then have the unit run slower then my 3 y.o AMD. hopfully its something simple.

cpu temp is approx 43o C

I have the latest f3 bios upgrade too.

October 12, 2009 2:05:14 PM

Your CPU shouldn't be anywhere near 38% when you're not doing anything. It sounds like a possible virus or worm unless you had a scan going or something. The screenshot you posted doesn't show the CPU percentage each task is using. Windows Task Manager will show you that.
October 12, 2009 10:04:36 PM

Yeah it lasts for a while (say 30mins? ) sometimes more, sometimes less.. the cpu runs at a constant 38% and around 45oC.

once back to normal the cpu will run as normal (a couple % usage) and temp back down in the low 30's.

sorry should have added - no scan or updates running.

I have done a full scan but no virus (using avg free).

that screen print is not the best, I am not home now but it was the System Idle taking the entire usage (approx 38%).
October 13, 2009 2:07:22 PM

What was taking up the other 62% of the CPU resources? System Idle should be using 90% - 98% of the CPU when the system isn't doing anything.
October 13, 2009 9:59:22 PM

I have narrowed it down & found the cause, but have no idea of a fix.......

I have a media folder on my D: which has movies, etc... about 150G. when I open this folder up and click on a media file (typical movie, 700mb) this is when the problems occur (note - I do NOT open the file) this is just simpling browsing that folder and puting the mouse on a file. the D: is just my primary HDD 500gb which I have partitioned (30gb C: for the o/s, the rest for D: ).

I narowed it down by running a few tools to monitor the cpu, processor & just poke around the pc a bit to see what would trigger the cpu spike, the cpu generally runs @ 1-2% and 35o C temp when idle, once accessing the media folder & clicking on the files, it jumps instantly to 38% usage & temp climbs to 47o C. this will last for 20mins or so, even if I close the folder down, the high usage will continue.

I though it may have been a coincidence, but I did this test several times, watching the cpu @ 1-2% then accessing these folders and bringing on my symptoms without fail each time.

updated my video drivers also installed the new version of klite codecs, but it has not helped.

shortstuff, during this high usage, idle processor is the main hog, iexplorer is second (but does not use very much, I will have to monitor again to get exact figures, but idle seems to use the whole 38% at most times).

any ideas?
October 13, 2009 10:11:04 PM

I don't think you are understanding what the "idle processor" is. That means that percentage of the CPU is idle and not doing anything. A system that was truly not doing anything would have 100% of the resources listed as "System Idle Process" (although this would never actually be at 100%). My system I'm using here at work is bouncing between 94% and 99% "System Idle Process" right now. That's what it should do. If system idle process is being listed as 38%, it means that 62% of the CPU is busy doing something else.
October 14, 2009 6:39:53 AM

Thanks - that makes sense,

I have taken another screen print after accessing the media folder;

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7367/error3u.jpg

so looks like explorer is going crazy once opening the media folder, but remains like this for 20mins or more, even after closing the folder right away. its triggering something.

November 3, 2009 5:47:57 PM

I have the same problem I use gigabyte p55-ud3r and i5 750 and I have randomly freeze on idle. I have replaced ram and mobo and it didn't help. I checked some anothers bios setting like manual vcore or disabled EIST and Turbo, but the computer still freeze on idle. I can play games 2-3 hours or run Intel Burn Test or Prime and all woks, but when I brows Internet or plays films the computer freez not immendiatle but in 3-4 hours on IDLE. I can not solve the problem
Anonymous
November 4, 2009 5:30:49 AM

me to, Crash after 3-6h (everything freeze). I have change ram and graficard.
November 4, 2009 4:41:21 PM

Hi, and what are your CPU Clock Drive / Express PCI Clock Drive - the are in Bios in Advanced Sequency Settings
!