Asus P8Z68 Deluxe gen 3 and 2500k ocing

madchemist83

Distinguished
Hi All,
I've recently built a rig that has asus p8z68 deluxe gen 3 and 2500k at its core. Now I'm looking into overclocking it. So far I gathered enough info from the net to keep me busy for days. What's interesting it's that there are a lot of different combinations that worked out for peeps. I'm planning on posting comprehensive guide on overclocking and would like some input. Please let me know if you have any personal experience or useful info.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I messed with my 2500k for DAYS.

I'm still not done.

Its so much more complex to get them 100% stable than other chips, the errors seem to occurr at most bizzarre points during testing.

I have it 100% stable @ 4.6Ghz 1.35v LLC on Medium and Offset on + 0.050
It Idles at around 1.01v - which is fine.

I've had it @ 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and 5.0Ghz all stable though, Im happiest with the 4.6Ghz OC because of the Vcore and the temps (50C Max Core temp /w Air cooling).

Its a fun processor to Overclock though, I love it. I never got bored, and run benches after every stable overclock, its hilarious watching your score go up and up and up.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

This isn't true, the reason people use offset is to improve longevity of your CPU. Using the Formula involving Voltage and Temperature to determine longevity of a CPU dictates that a constant 1.35v will be much more damaging than a 1.00v idle to 1.35v load. LLC is designed to make on the fly voltage alterations safe.
On another note, if you keep it at a higher voltage throughout idle, it will be generating more heat and using more power, therefore decreasing its longevity and increasing its total carbon footprint (if your bothered) and your electric bill over the course of the 3 - 5 years you will be using the machine.

OCing Offset is harder but its much better on your CPU. If you want it to last as long as possible @ optimal performance use offest.

Mine can do 4.7 @1.38-1.39 I think - I don't want to run it that high though, I like 1.35

My CPU cooler can handle 1.52v and 5Ghz and keep the CPU 15-20c under its Tjmax - but that would be silly and my CPU would last about 6 months.

In my opinion if you can keep the temps below 60C Max load @ Any voltage up to 1.52 its safe to run it at those volts.

Anything below 1.4v can be run safely at a temperature of below 70C

I personally run 1.35v and 50C max core temp - (Average 49C)

Methodology - The higher the voltage - the higher the degredation - The higher the Temps - the higher the degredation - So high volts (1.4v+) and low temps (< 60C) Will usually be an okay combination. So will Low volts (<1.35) and higher temps (<70C). For best results, longevity, reliability and lasting performance I prefer Low volts (<1.35) and low temps (<60C).

madchemist83

Distinguished
also offset has nothing to do with what voltage it idles at ... speed step does
I will try building graph at what temperature is my cpu sitting at vs voltage on the core
at constant fan speed and let's say intel burn in test

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
hahah! mine is 4.8ghz on 1.5v with h100 cooler stable for regular use, two gtx 580 outstanding performance.
Min 39 avg 53 max 71.

You may find your CPU degrades like hell - 71C is too high for a 2500k @ anything above stock volts. Run it at 4.5 Ghz ~1.35v and you wont be going over 50C - plus the performance is identical apart from in benches.

Wrong - If you use fixed voltage the voltage stays erm - fixed. Idle or Load. If you use offset it changes. Go check CPU-Z if your using fixed voltage whilst idling - it will remain the same as in load (assuming you have max LLC)

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Use Offset voltage - tweak it so when under full load your Voltage is sitting around 1.34 - 1.35v

Use LLC to hit the perfect Voltage (Change from low - med - high - ultra etc) - Ignore if your voltage fluctuates to 1.4 ish every now and again - under full load the Vdroop will take effect and it will drop to 1.35 ish - then on idle your offset will kick in and it will drop to ~1v

I think I have min under an offset of 0.060 and an LLC of Medium - which brings me to my ideal voltage for idle/load.

It took me days (6 to be exact) to settle with what I'm on now - its all about personal preference. Now Im idling at about 1.05v (23C) and loading at 1.35v (~50C) - I couldnt be happier.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Have you tested with 20 passes of IBT/Linpack/Linx on High - Max stress with 2 hours of OCCT? or is it 8 Hours Prime 95 Blend stable?

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

After how long? I also recommend the offset method, why have your core voltage maxed out at times when you don't really need it? I run my 2500K @4.5GHz with an offset of +0.035. Under 100% load stress testing, my core voltage hovers around 1.312v, my max temps are in the low to mid 60's. (with a Hyper 212+ air cooler). The beauty of using offset is, during normal use, my processor idles at ~1.00v, while jumping up to 4.5GHz and 1.312v when needed, hence, my max temps during normal operation rarely break low 40's.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Haha! Your core voltage sounds a little high, even for 4.8. You should be able to hit 4.8 with ~1.42-1.46v, whether you use offset, or manual core voltage setting; 1.5v is getting into danger territory.