garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Picked one up today at Frys for $85 / matched Tigers price.

In my micro ATX installation, I was only able to utilize a single fan for right now but wow, it is keeping my 1100T cooler than I thought it would for an all in one. Idle temps are 20C, and after two hours of prime95 I am at 43C @ 1.55V. Will try a pair of twin / thin Scythe fans later on over this single fan I have now as my space is very limited. Definitely increased my stock overclocking stability! Sitting at 4.2ghz right now and so far so good.

Installation was cake to note. Very happy I went this route over the air solutions I was looking at. Not my first water kit, I used to run a koolance exos back around 2003. These simple, cheap all in one units are pretty cool!

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Agreed. I have had "real water" before... Long, long ago back when we were pushing bartons and 9800 pros hahaha. Back in the days of single core power! Just shocked this little $85 all in one works so well, even without one of the fans. Would buy it again in a heartbeat! Cheaper than some of the "real" water blocks available. The part fit my needs, very pleased.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
@ garage1217, I appreciate the good feedback and especially coming from someone that has done "real water cooling" in the past. A lot of people tend to not give all in one units their due. Both have their place which your experience clearly shows.

G

Those hybrid liquid coolers (like the Corsair H80) do worked. Even better than some of the best air coolers out there.

G

Not on this guy. He got better temps than most using high quality air cooler.

I like hybrid cooler. Though lots of people at overclock.net called them fake but I don't. I think they're as real liquid cooler as the non-hybrids.

There are a lot of variables that go into the temps you see, but the most important are definitely airflow and ambient temps. My 560Ti here in IN runs at ~20-22C idle and about 30C at load (not entirely sure - don't really watch the temp gauge after I'm done gaming), which is almost entirely due to the fact that my apartment is generally not heated during the winter (think ~55-65F).

In "lab" tests, the H-series coolers don't perform better than most of the better air coolers, and I'd trust those more simply due to consistent conditions. I mean, I could probably get my watercooling close to 0C if I threw my rad outside, but aircooling would stabilize at much higher temps inside.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Your delta would improve the colder the ambient air becomes. When you are dissipating heat, the greater difference between the ambient air temp and the water temp, the better/faster the transfer of that heat. Likewise, if your ambient temps are very, very hot, you start to absorb heat into your loop from the ambient...

I'm thinking you'd need significant sub-zero ambient temps to reach a water temp of 0...and if you are wanting CPU temps of zero, you'd have to pushing severe sub-zero ambient in order to transfer zero minus your delta to the IHS of the CPU.

G

Hybrid liquid coolers got better reviews by pc experts.

PNY GTX 580 Liquid Cooled GPU & CPU

According to the experts, & I qoute...

"We finished with a final overclock of 970/1170MHz, which is one of the best overclock results we've achieved on any GTX 580 model. It's not entirely surprising given the amazing cooling prowess here, but this is still impressive. The other positive note to remember here is that the overclocked temperatures and nowhere near as high as any air cooled solution, so not only should this produce better stability but also increase component longevity."

"Kickass" product...like Rodney Reynolds. :D

A small 120 mm radiator cooled both CPU & GTX 580. :D

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
GTX 580 = 244 watts

i7 870 = 95 watts (stock)

CPU OC Wattage = 95 * ( 4200 / 2930) * (let's say OC Vcore / Stock Vcore remain the same for this example...when they actually aren't )^2

95 * 1.43 * (1)= 136 watts

This puts us at a total load TDP of 380 watts. The radiator used is a single 120mm... albeit a 'thicker' model. Fin density looks rather high, in the 20 FPI range, so we could easily compare it with a HWLabs BIX 360 rad and evaluate by 33.3% of the size.

At a 10C delta, you can see the performance range, which is close to the 13C delta they claim in their testing.
GTX360_10cDelta_Chart.jpg

Now, for the sake of simplicity of this chart, we'll take a plot on the graph that is simple to evaluate: 600 watts dissipated w/ 1700 rpm fans makes a perfect intersection and also falls inline with most medium speed fans you'd expect to use on a radiator application.

600 watts / 3 = 200 watts dissipated per 120mm of radiator space.

Recall, the OC i7 870 and GTX 580 are generating 380 watts...and this is being very generous as I didn't evaluate stock vcore vs. OC vcore...which would have resulted in some larger TDP gains. You can easily expect this number to realistically be over 400 watts.

So, in closing-

No thank you. Those numbers just don't add up. I mean...well, they do...they just add up to more than what you can expect that 120mm rad to actually cool.

G

Well, what can I say. The test was done by an independent expert. I read all the reviews on hybrid & all of them were positive.

Though I don't anymore used hybrids, I think using hybrids should not be discouraged. Tests by experts clearly & without any doubt will tell you that it's effective. Even the people there at overclock.net were shaking their heads. There's just no scientific explanation to it according to some people there.

According to those gentlemen...
"I have absolutely no idea how a 120 rad could dissipate that much heat without violating laws of physics. Call me highly skeptical, but extremely impressed if true. This would literally be the end of large heatsinks and air cooling if true."

"There is no way those results are typical. He must have been pouring LN2 on the rad during testing."

Makes me laugh but what can I say.

It just works!

G

Call it a real shocker if an 80 mm radiator can cool (2) GTX 590 on quad SLI.

It's just not possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af36guJbnBA&feature=player_embedded#!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The guys saying those things in that forum have no common sense...this isn't possible. If it were that good, Martin or Skinnee would do a review on it...and notice, neither of them have done a LCS review to-date that I know of. This is where I get my payday...guys that KNOW exactly how the physics of watercooling works and how to accurately benchmark watercooling gear with detailed testing methods and endless heaps of information. These guys provide nothing more than a few dumbed-down bar graphs and hope you buy the garbage they spit out about cooling performance and overclocking potential.

54C on GPU loads? Are you kidding me?

...At 100% load on a normal watercooling loop, you should see less than 40C.

Sorry, this isn't impressive...it's almost scary. The guy doing the video you linked is just like every other reviewer of LCS coolers who doesn't know a damn thing about watercooling so every result he sees is automatically good since he 'knows its watercooling that he's testing'.

His temps are very unimpressive in the video.

I'm sorry- I seriously can't take any of these reviews with a grain of respect. We all know that a normal LCS cooler with a single 120 already struggles to stay on par with the best air coolers...how will it perform better by tripling the heat load on the same flow rate and rad size?

Defies physics...which cannot happen. You don't break physics...physics breaks you.

G

:D

Easy to miss, it is the only real " expert " review out there.

It's seems the difference between "expert reviewers" and "experts in a field" is lost on some