Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Very pleased with the Corsair H80

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 19, 2012 2:02:25 AM

Picked one up today at Frys for $85 / matched Tigers price.

In my micro ATX installation, I was only able to utilize a single fan for right now but wow, it is keeping my 1100T cooler than I thought it would for an all in one. Idle temps are 20C, and after two hours of prime95 I am at 43C @ 1.55V. Will try a pair of twin / thin Scythe fans later on over this single fan I have now as my space is very limited. Definitely increased my stock overclocking stability! Sitting at 4.2ghz right now and so far so good.

Installation was cake to note. Very happy I went this route over the air solutions I was looking at. Not my first water kit, I used to run a koolance exos back around 2003. These simple, cheap all in one units are pretty cool!

More about : pleased corsair h80

a c 190 K Overclocking
January 19, 2012 2:07:30 AM

Nice to hear positive feedback on things, I prefer real water but I always advocate these units do serve a purpose, you just prove it :-)
Moto
m
0
l
January 19, 2012 2:33:28 AM

Agreed. I have had "real water" before... Long, long ago back when we were pushing bartons and 9800 pros hahaha. Back in the days of single core power! Just shocked this little $85 all in one works so well, even without one of the fans. Would buy it again in a heartbeat! Cheaper than some of the "real" water blocks available. The part fit my needs, very pleased.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 19, 2012 12:41:26 PM

I have seen better reception and performance out of the H80 and H100 than the earlier models like the H50, etc. This is promising for this sector of cooling.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 7:44:59 PM

@ garage1217, I appreciate the good feedback and especially coming from someone that has done "real water cooling" in the past. A lot of people tend to not give all in one units their due. Both have their place which your experience clearly shows.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 7:50:42 PM

It all depends on your expectations of performance.
m
0
l
January 25, 2012 4:55:46 AM

garage1217 said:
Picked one up today at Frys for $85 / matched Tigers price.

In my micro ATX installation, I was only able to utilize a single fan for right now but wow, it is keeping my 1100T cooler than I thought it would for an all in one. Idle temps are 20C, and after two hours of prime95 I am at 43C @ 1.55V. Will try a pair of twin / thin Scythe fans later on over this single fan I have now as my space is very limited. Definitely increased my stock overclocking stability! Sitting at 4.2ghz right now and so far so good.

Installation was cake to note. Very happy I went this route over the air solutions I was looking at. Not my first water kit, I used to run a koolance exos back around 2003. These simple, cheap all in one units are pretty cool!


Those hybrid liquid coolers (like the Corsair H80) do worked. Even better than some of the best air coolers out there.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 10:45:47 AM

I wouldn't go as far to say they are better than the best air coolers...in most cases the are on par with them, in some instances a couple C better.
m
0
l
January 25, 2012 12:42:44 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I wouldn't go as far to say they are better than the best air coolers...in most cases the are on par with them, in some instances a couple C better.


Not on this guy. He got better temps than most using high quality air cooler.

I like hybrid cooler. Though lots of people at overclock.net called them fake but I don't. I think they're as real liquid cooler as the non-hybrids.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 1:10:50 PM

Sorry, I completely disagree.

1) Poor pump and flow rate
2) Small radiator size limits heat dissipation potential
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:11:44 PM

I call them Fisher price units,
look mommy! my first watercooling :p 
Moto
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:20:03 PM

Yeah, exactly.

'I don't have a clue about how real watercooling works, but I can plug something in. Look friends- please envy my high-performance WATERCOOLING'..........that really isn't, but none of us really know any better.'
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 7:31:37 PM

Cheaptrick said:
Not on this guy. He got better temps than most using high quality air cooler.

I like hybrid cooler. Though lots of people at overclock.net called them fake but I don't. I think they're as real liquid cooler as the non-hybrids.


There are a lot of variables that go into the temps you see, but the most important are definitely airflow and ambient temps. My 560Ti here in IN runs at ~20-22C idle and about 30C at load (not entirely sure - don't really watch the temp gauge after I'm done gaming), which is almost entirely due to the fact that my apartment is generally not heated during the winter (think ~55-65F).

In "lab" tests, the H-series coolers don't perform better than most of the better air coolers, and I'd trust those more simply due to consistent conditions. I mean, I could probably get my watercooling close to 0C if I threw my rad outside, but aircooling would stabilize at much higher temps inside.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 7:59:51 PM

Your delta would improve the colder the ambient air becomes. When you are dissipating heat, the greater difference between the ambient air temp and the water temp, the better/faster the transfer of that heat. Likewise, if your ambient temps are very, very hot, you start to absorb heat into your loop from the ambient...

I'm thinking you'd need significant sub-zero ambient temps to reach a water temp of 0...and if you are wanting CPU temps of zero, you'd have to pushing severe sub-zero ambient in order to transfer zero minus your delta to the IHS of the CPU.
m
0
l
January 26, 2012 3:57:42 AM

Hybrid liquid coolers got better reviews by pc experts.

PNY GTX 580 Liquid Cooled GPU & CPU

According to the experts, & I qoute...

"We finished with a final overclock of 970/1170MHz, which is one of the best overclock results we've achieved on any GTX 580 model. It's not entirely surprising given the amazing cooling prowess here, but this is still impressive. The other positive note to remember here is that the overclocked temperatures and nowhere near as high as any air cooled solution, so not only should this produce better stability but also increase component longevity."

"Kickass" product...like Rodney Reynolds. :D 

A small 120 mm radiator cooled both CPU & GTX 580. :D 
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 4:18:05 AM

GTX 580 = 244 watts

i7 870 = 95 watts (stock)

CPU OC Wattage = 95 * ( 4200 / 2930) * (let's say OC Vcore / Stock Vcore remain the same for this example...when they actually aren't )^2

95 * 1.43 * (1)= 136 watts

This puts us at a total load TDP of 380 watts. The radiator used is a single 120mm... albeit a 'thicker' model. Fin density looks rather high, in the 20 FPI range, so we could easily compare it with a HWLabs BIX 360 rad and evaluate by 33.3% of the size.

At a 10C delta, you can see the performance range, which is close to the 13C delta they claim in their testing.


Now, for the sake of simplicity of this chart, we'll take a plot on the graph that is simple to evaluate: 600 watts dissipated w/ 1700 rpm fans makes a perfect intersection and also falls inline with most medium speed fans you'd expect to use on a radiator application.

600 watts / 3 = 200 watts dissipated per 120mm of radiator space.

Recall, the OC i7 870 and GTX 580 are generating 380 watts...and this is being very generous as I didn't evaluate stock vcore vs. OC vcore...which would have resulted in some larger TDP gains. You can easily expect this number to realistically be over 400 watts.

So, in closing-

No thank you. Those numbers just don't add up. I mean...well, they do...they just add up to more than what you can expect that 120mm rad to actually cool.
m
0
l
January 26, 2012 4:48:48 AM

Well, what can I say. The test was done by an independent expert. I read all the reviews on hybrid & all of them were positive.

Though I don't anymore used hybrids, I think using hybrids should not be discouraged. Tests by experts clearly & without any doubt will tell you that it's effective. Even the people there at overclock.net were shaking their heads. There's just no scientific explanation to it according to some people there.

According to those gentlemen...
"I have absolutely no idea how a 120 rad could dissipate that much heat without violating laws of physics. Call me highly skeptical, but extremely impressed if true. This would literally be the end of large heatsinks and air cooling if true."

"There is no way those results are typical. He must have been pouring LN2 on the rad during testing."

Makes me laugh but what can I say.

It just works!
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 8:51:52 AM

The guys saying those things in that forum have no common sense...this isn't possible. If it were that good, Martin or Skinnee would do a review on it...and notice, neither of them have done a LCS review to-date that I know of. This is where I get my payday...guys that KNOW exactly how the physics of watercooling works and how to accurately benchmark watercooling gear with detailed testing methods and endless heaps of information. These guys provide nothing more than a few dumbed-down bar graphs and hope you buy the garbage they spit out about cooling performance and overclocking potential.

54C on GPU loads? Are you kidding me?

...At 100% load on a normal watercooling loop, you should see less than 40C.

Sorry, this isn't impressive...it's almost scary. The guy doing the video you linked is just like every other reviewer of LCS coolers who doesn't know a damn thing about watercooling so every result he sees is automatically good since he 'knows its watercooling that he's testing'.

His temps are very unimpressive in the video.

I'm sorry- I seriously can't take any of these reviews with a grain of respect. We all know that a normal LCS cooler with a single 120 already struggles to stay on par with the best air coolers...how will it perform better by tripling the heat load on the same flow rate and rad size?

Defies physics...which cannot happen. You don't break physics...physics breaks you.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 10:06:55 AM

rubix_1011 said:
It all depends on your expectations of performance.

This people

PS; Skinnee reviewed the H50
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 1:02:41 PM

Quote:
PS; Skinnee reviewed the H50


I take that back then...wait a second...yeah, I remember that one. Crap.

You don't see them doing more of them, though. If he did one, why didn't Corsair rush to get him H60/H70/H80/H100? Wonder why Antec/Asetek/CoolIt aren't having him test?
m
0
l
January 26, 2012 1:08:11 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
PS; Skinnee reviewed the H50


I take that back then...wait a second...yeah, I remember that one. Crap.

You don't see them doing more of them, though. If he did one, why didn't Corsair rush to get him H60/H70/H80/H100? Wonder why Antec/Asetek/CoolIt aren't having him test?


:D 
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 1:10:02 PM

It was around 4:30 am, I think, when I wrote that. Still no excuse...I was wrong on it.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 1:14:31 PM

rubix_1011 said:
It was around 4:30 am, I think, when I wrote that. Still no excuse...I was wrong on it.

Easy to miss, it is the only real " expert " review out there.

It's seems the difference between "expert reviewers" and "experts in a field" is lost on some
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 1:18:17 PM

That's a very good way to state that.
m
0
l
January 26, 2012 1:23:14 PM

I'm not particularly gets so impressed with reviews from such people as Martin of Martin Liquid Cooling Labs. I prefer the more layman's review of such people like Rodney Reynolds (3DGameMan), Linus or Albert of Tigerdirect.

I prefer the reviewer to show his or her face & not use graphs or something scientific to make the person look smart. Just tell the people that you use the product & this is what you see & not connect the product on some cotraption to look so scientific of your review.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 1:28:57 PM

The reason Martin and Skinnee are so well respected is because they perform each of their performance benchmark tests in a very scientific manner with tools other than a GUI temp monitor and a 3D benchmark. That equipment is chosen and configured to help explain 'WHY' radiators, blocks and pumps perform how they do based on design. It's designed to measure differences that aren't seen by the human eye.

They offer some of the most detailed and comprehensive breakdowns of watercooling hardware that you will find on the web. I realize a lot of what they chew up and spit out looks over the top, but it's because you really have to dig into the details and understanding of how watercooling components work and what they rely on to be good, great or excellent...once you have that down, all those techie charts really make sense.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 3:12:15 PM

Cheaptrick said:
I'm not particularly gets so impressed with reviews from such people as Martin of Martin Liquid Cooling Labs. I prefer the more layman's review of such people like Rodney Reynolds (3DGameMan), Linus or Albert of Tigerdirect.

I prefer the reviewer to show his or her face & not use graphs or something scientific to make the person look smart. Just tell the people that you use the product & this is what you see & not connect the product on some cotraption to look so scientific of your review.


Remember, at the end of the day this is science, not marketing.
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 6:30:38 PM

I would rather make myself suffer through a ton of math and graphs to appraise a rad than have some gimpy cheeto licker point at a product and go, Duuuuuuuude, thississ aawesome!!'
I just see it as a more valid method of deciding how to spend my hard-earned :p 
Moto
m
0
l
January 27, 2012 3:34:40 AM

I return home and see how this thread blew up a bit ha!

A little background on myself, not that it matters... I have run custom liquid / full blown water setups for many many years. I am more than aware of the pros and cons of quality air, introduction liquid and custom liquid cooling setups.

I hate to date myself but I was apart of the original techwarelabs and even here on toms under the name accurateimage back in 2000-2003ish.. oh and overclockers.com holding a #3 spot for 3dmark 2001 for many moons. Only promethia or vapochill units at that time (if anyone remembers that far back) could touch what we were doing with water... so in short, you are not talking to a noob that just joined, just absent for many, many years and created a new account as the old info was long forgotten. Just a has-was long forgotten overclocker. I got out of the race as I decided to start funding business ventures, investments and so forth. Also had kids and overall grew up. Always missed the race but still do have fun building PC's and tweaking them.

I do not care at all to defend corsairs honor or anyone's for that matter but I can say this product, after I have used it, without question has its place in the mainstream. The performance I have witnessed has been very good. On par or better than the best out of the box air setups, beating most and cheaper than some (paid $85 for this unit) But of course, does not compete with a well designed custom liquid setup in which some water blocks alone cost more than this unit.

My feedback.... Fan noise is very low to me as my system is not running benchmarks 24-7. The only time this unit gets a bit loud (still lower volume than a stock cooler) is when pushing it hard under benchmark conditions. Never hear much ramping of the fans during games or general use and I have it on performance mode. Another big benefit for me, I am running a gently overclocked micro ATX AMD setup. No room for a monster air cooler. (1100T @ 4.0 - 4.2T / 2600NB / 6950 @925/1475 / ddr3 @1600 8-8-8-16-1t / 25tRC) Nothing AMD record breaking by any means, but for a business machine & light gamer it is a lot of fun.

Overall, I do not care for the high horse, mine is bigger than yours bs as it is pointless and in general that sort of thing is not welcome on this forum or any. As I stated, the bottom line is that this unit works very well for plug and play. Provides great cooling performance, was cake to install and does as advertised which is why I posted about it. I for one am not out to impress anyone or geek them out with how cool my pc is, I just like to have fun with it. For those looking for a generally "better than air" solution, which is my opinion on it... This fits the bill nicely. Could the product be better? I would change a few details but overall I am very happy with it and that is all that matters.

If one wants to check it out, it has been reviewed many places...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_hydro_h...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h80-h100-benchm...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/01/corsair_h80_h...
m
0
l
January 27, 2012 5:39:58 AM

garage1217 said:
I return home and see how this thread blew up a bit ha!

A little background on myself, not that it matters... I have run custom liquid / full blown water setups for many many years. I am more than aware of the pros and cons of quality air, introduction liquid and custom liquid cooling setups.

I hate to date myself but I was apart of the original techwarelabs and even here on toms under the name accurateimage back in 2000-2003ish.. oh and overclockers.com holding a #3 spot for 3dmark 2001 for many moons. Only promethia or vapochill units at that time (if anyone remembers that far back) could touch what we were doing with water... so in short, you are not talking to a noob that just joined, just absent for many, many years and created a new account as the old info was long forgotten. Just a has-was long forgotten overclocker. I got out of the race as I decided to start funding business ventures, investments and so forth. Also had kids and overall grew up. Always missed the race but still do have fun building PC's and tweaking them.

I do not care at all to defend corsairs honor or anyone's for that matter but I can say this product, after I have used it, without question has its place in the mainstream. The performance I have witnessed has been very good. On par or better than the best out of the box air setups, beating most and cheaper than some (paid $85 for this unit) But of course, does not compete with a well designed custom liquid setup in which some water blocks alone cost more than this unit.

My feedback.... Fan noise is very low to me as my system is not running benchmarks 24-7. The only time this unit gets a bit loud (still lower volume than a stock cooler) is when pushing it hard under benchmark conditions. Never hear much ramping of the fans during games or general use and I have it on performance mode. Another big benefit for me, I am running a gently overclocked micro ATX AMD setup. No room for a monster air cooler. (1100T @ 4.0 - 4.2T / 2600NB / 6950 @925/1475 / ddr3 @1600 8-8-8-16-1t / 25tRC) Nothing AMD record breaking by any means, but for a business machine & light gamer it is a lot of fun.

Overall, I do not care for the high horse, mine is bigger than yours bs as it is pointless and in general that sort of thing is not welcome on this forum or any. As I stated, the bottom line is that this unit works very well for plug and play. Provides great cooling performance, was cake to install and does as advertised which is why I posted about it. I for one am not out to impress anyone or geek them out with how cool my pc is, I just like to have fun with it. For those looking for a generally "better than air" solution, which is my opinion on it... This fits the bill nicely. Could the product be better? I would change a few details but overall I am very happy with it and that is all that matters.

If one wants to check it out, it has been reviewed many places...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_hydro_h...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h80-h100-benchm...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/01/corsair_h80_h...


I'm with you on this my brother. There's seems to be a lot of BS going on this world nowadays that its getting harder to prove something that defies what is becoming sort of a norm... & that is - bigger.

I do own (2) hybrid coolers before, a CoolIt Vantage ALC that I purchased when it was new in the market & then later on I also purchased an Antec Kuhler H2O 920. I still have the one made by CoolIt & been planning to use it later on probably for my other builds (or mod it). What I found about this hybrid liquid coolers is that they do work. I was particularly impressed with the Antec Kuhler H2O 920. My experienced with it is that it's far better than all the air coolers that I've used before (even the better ones).

The reason why I went on full liquid cooling is that I'm just curious about something else that I never tried besides minimizing the noise level in my previous set up (not because I don't like hybrids). I'm also looking for a liquid cooling system that has no shelf life. Something that you can customized depending on what kind of liquid you wanna use, radiator, pumps, etc. I have nothing against hybrids. This liquid coolers are as real as any kinds of liquid coolers. I for sure not call them Fisher Price units.

Several months ago, I started this forum thread on another computer website about using small radiators to cool thing down. I got laugh by some who responded & was even told to get real coz this is America & that everything's supersized. Someone told me to stop being cheap & buy something big. Look who's talking? Majority of this people were kids. It's not about money or anything like that. If someone ca afford to buy a half a million house then I sure could buy a $300 computer case. It's not a question that someone can afford or not but it's because someone just want to do something he thinks possible or not. It might defy logical explanation (or what is norm) but who cares.

Same thing with hybrid liquid coolers. The set up works, otherwised it's not marketable. Even Intel is going hybrid liquid cooling (not only that, they used it on their top CPU). I wish this so called experts who likes to bash liquid cooler users should just shut up.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 1:16:46 PM

Quote:
I wish this so called experts who likes to bash liquid cooler users should just shut up.


Not sure who you are aiming this at, but but the entire point of any forum is debate and information.

Also, there needs to be some clarity in the air, here. The fact that I don't feel the GPU+CPU combo unit is 'good' is my personal preference. I stated very detailed information as to why I have my doubts. Until I have the ability to actually review this product as a whole, I will continue to have my doubts. Because I have my doubts, I will not purchase it to test on my own.

Yes, LCS coolers do hold a very good place for a very large number of users throughout the world.

Do they work? Yes, of course they do. In many instances they are the very best solution for some people due to space constraints or tall RAM DIMMs being used. Do they usually perform about as well as good air coolers? Yes. This has been proven 1000's of times over.

I will lead the charge for anyone trying to debate that full-blown watercooling is a necessity anymore- it is not. It is primarily a hobbyist venture in almost 100% of people using it as a cooling solution. Does it perform that much better to warrant it as a viable cooling option over LCS or normal air cooling? In most instances- likely not.

I think the biggest debate here is of the PNY GPU+CPU unit that was tossed into the mix. Almost all of us agree that Corsair/Antec/CoolIt/Asetek CPU coolers perform admirably for the function they are designed for. Where serious questions arise is the ability to use this same cooler and add the heat load of ~240 watts to it and the claims that it still performs as good- or better.

Again- the argument here really isn't around the CPU coolers of this nature. It seems to be the review of the PNY CPU+GPU product that worked it's way into this thread.

If we are to debate issues, let's all ensure we are debating the correct issues at the correct times.

Play ball. :) 
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 2:34:02 PM

+1, Although I may seem to be slanted towards 'real' watercooling, I'm never against recommending a H80 to the guy who it is the solution for, if thats best for him I'll say so

My previous comment was about the advert style and the general dumbingness of marketing strategy, not about the product being advertised,
Advert style aside, Who's bashing anyone?
Moto
I wasn't bashing anything (if that comment was aimed at me)
m
0
l
!