Which motherboard would compliment the Intel i7 860 best?

claykirk13

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Hiya, I decided to make it a project this summer to build a new computer seemings it's something I've never done before and I've saved up a little cash. I decided to start with the processor and I've got my eye on the Intel i7 860 right now. I understand that now the motherboard I buy needs to be compatible with the 860 processor (you know LGA1156 and all). I've been researching motherboards for the last couple of days, but the concept still confuses the heck out of me. I want a motherboard that has good features, is reliable and is compatible with my processor. I'd like to use DDR3 ram in this computer project of mine and hopefully find a good value mid to high end GPU like a GTX 260. I'm mentioning all this because (I still have no idea about motherboards and..) it might be relevant.

All I'd like really is a couple good suggestions for me to look at. I don't want to end up buying something I'll regret.

Thanks a lot,
Clay

Solution
According to your need
you don't really need a fancy motherboard
If I were you I would consider gigabyte p55a-ud3p
It has enough feature for you if you decide to try overclocking
and is future ready with USB3, sata3... you never know when will you need usb 3.o
This board does not support sli but it does support Crossfire (2 Ati graphic card)
But since you are not a heavy gamer.. so you don't really need a sli or crossfire feature.

Gigabyte also claim this board is "ultra durable"...which is yet to be tested personally...

Questions:
Budget?
Are you going to use two or more graphic cards?
Are you going to overclock/need a board with lots of overclocking features?
Do you need/want SATA III/USB 3.0?
Do you think you really need an i7? If you're mainly going to be gaming, then an i5 is very good already. If you plan to use it for heavy intensive apps which can use HyperThreading, or feel that the i7 is more future-proofed, than nevermind.

Just so you know, all Intel Core i3, i5, i7 use DDR3.

claykirk13

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Hi Lmeow, thanks for responding.

Lol, umm, buget: Medium - I'd like to stay within the $1000 - 1500 level for the whole project, but going over isn't such a huge deal. I'll just have to put in more hours at work this spring. It's time to get a new computer for myself.
Graphics: No, I think one graphics card should suit me. I'm not really a huge gaming person, maybe one day I'd like to try to connect 2 though. Definitely no more than two though.
Overclocking: I'm not sure about this one. I don't think so, I'd like to be able to have Quad-core 2.8 GHz or something like that.
SATA/USB: No, I'm fine with USB 2.0 and I'd like to do eSATA, but that's not a big concern.
i7: I just thought maybe the i7 would be worth the higher pricetag, but now that you mention it, I'll check into the i5s and see about them. I'm going to say no though, I don't need the i7. i5 would be splendid I'm sure.

Thanks,
Clay

bezbol

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
According to your need
you don't really need a fancy motherboard
If I were you I would consider gigabyte p55a-ud3p
It has enough feature for you if you decide to try overclocking
and is future ready with USB3, sata3... you never know when will you need usb 3.o
This board does not support sli but it does support Crossfire (2 Ati graphic card)
But since you are not a heavy gamer.. so you don't really need a sli or crossfire feature.

Gigabyte also claim this board is "ultra durable"...which is yet to be tested personally...

Solution

claykirk13

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks bexbol. I'll looked into that motherboard it would work great for my project I'm sure.

So it looks like I'm seeing myself with the Intel i7 860 (I just couldn't help it, I think it's future proof), Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P motherboard, and I looking at an ATI Raedon HD 4980 now for graphics (motherboard supports crossfire just in case I feel like doubling up). I'd like to get some Crucial Balistix DDR3 memory (probably 4 2GB pieces 240 pin).

I put some time into seeing if all this is compatible and it looks to me like it'll work alright. You guys are the experts though. Do you think this set-up looks alright so far?