Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heat
  • Thermal Compound
  • Cooling
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 10:29:43 PM

I've decided to do my first over clocking and am upgrading to an aftermarket air cooling heat sink. Now I have removed the stock heat sink and have thermal compound all over my cpu. What do I use to clean this off, or do I need to in order to add my Coolmaster Hyper 212 heat sink to it?

Thanks in advance.

More about : changing heat sink

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 10:56:06 PM

yes, you need to remove the old TIM and re-apply some new stuff.

use isoprpyl alcohol to remove the tim.

if you have to, you can just re-coat with another layer of tim on top of whats on there, as long as its the same make. but really you need to remove the old stuff
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 4:18:03 AM

Thanks for your help. Got my i7 920 running nicely. Currently it's set to 3.5 ghz and running well. It got past a 30 min Prime95 stress test.

I read some where else that I might expect better cooling as the compound hardens over the next few days. Is this correct info?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 7:27:13 AM

it depends on the kind of TIM you use. if it has a cure time, then yes. it will begin to cool more effectively as it cures.

most decent brands though have no cure time.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 3:19:02 PM

Well, I used arctic silver 5 compound. I put it on lastnight, and this morning idle is 5C cooler than lastnights idle.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 7:57:39 PM

as far as i know, AS5 does not have a cure time, so that is probably due to a lower ambient temp.
its pretty good TIM though, it used to be the best.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 2:34:40 AM

No, same ambient tempurature. Anyways, I found a site that was quite informative and redid the TIM. After reading it, I found I used far too much (and was quite evident after I pulled the heat sink off).

According to that site, TIM require a curing time, but they did mention some white cream product that didn't. Anyways, it showed me where and how much TIM to use, and it's cooler yet.

At 3.5ghz I stress tested with Prime 95 and it never went over 63C (it hit 73C with previous application). I'm happy and I hope that the site I read was correct in the cure time, because that means I should be able to up the Overclock a bit.
m
l
!