Solved

Changing heat sink

I've decided to do my first over clocking and am upgrading to an aftermarket air cooling heat sink. Now I have removed the stock heat sink and have thermal compound all over my cpu. What do I use to clean this off, or do I need to in order to add my Coolmaster Hyper 212 heat sink to it?

Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about changing heat sink
  1. Best answer
    yes, you need to remove the old TIM and re-apply some new stuff.

use isoprpyl alcohol to remove the tim.

if you have to, you can just re-coat with another layer of tim on top of whats on there, as long as its the same make. but really you need to remove the old stuff
  2. Thanks for your help. Got my i7 920 running nicely. Currently it's set to 3.5 ghz and running well. It got past a 30 min Prime95 stress test.

I read some where else that I might expect better cooling as the compound hardens over the next few days. Is this correct info?
  3. it depends on the kind of TIM you use. if it has a cure time, then yes. it will begin to cool more effectively as it cures.

most decent brands though have no cure time.
  4. Well, I used arctic silver 5 compound. I put it on lastnight, and this morning idle is 5C cooler than lastnights idle.
  5. as far as i know, AS5 does not have a cure time, so that is probably due to a lower ambient temp.
    its pretty good TIM though, it used to be the best.
  6. No, same ambient tempurature. Anyways, I found a site that was quite informative and redid the TIM. After reading it, I found I used far too much (and was quite evident after I pulled the heat sink off).

According to that site, TIM require a curing time, but they did mention some white cream product that didn't. Anyways, it showed me where and how much TIM to use, and it's cooler yet.

At 3.5ghz I stress tested with Prime 95 and it never went over 63C (it hit 73C with previous application). I'm happy and I hope that the site I read was correct in the cure time, because that means I should be able to up the Overclock a bit.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heat Thermal Compound Cooling