Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 or AMD Athlon II X4 620

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 26, 2009 10:53:26 PM

Which computer should I get?
I'm trying to choose between two computers so far.

I will be using the computer for everyday use as well as web programming, gaming(l4d, l4d2, maybe sims 2/3), etc in the future. Looking to keep this computer for about 3-5 years. & will be upgrading the graphic card & power supply within a year or two.

1. HP Pavilion p6232p:
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz
-Intel G33 Express
-RAM: 8GB
-HD: 640GB
-$700

2. HP Pavilion p6210y:
-AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz
-GeForce 9100
-RAM: 6GB
-HD: 640GB
-$650

Both come with a 20" HP 2009M monitor.

Thanks for any reply.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 11:35:18 PM

The AMD machine is going to take upgrades a bit better... socket AM3 has got some life in it, whereas Intel's 775 is end of life.

Neither one is going to run games well until you upgrade the GPU and power supply.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 12:01:18 AM

ohkae said:
Which computer should I get?
I'm trying to choose between two computers so far.

I will be using the computer for everyday use as well as web programming, gaming(l4d, l4d2, maybe sims 2/3), etc in the future. Looking to keep this computer for about 3-5 years. & will be upgrading the graphic card & power supply within a year or two.

1. HP Pavilion p6232p:
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz
-Intel G33 Express
-RAM: 8GB
-HD: 640GB
-$700

2. HP Pavilion p6210y:
-AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz
-GeForce 9100
-RAM: 6GB
-HD: 640GB
-$650

Both come with a 20" HP 2009M monitor.

Thanks for any reply.


I would go for option 2 over those two. Option 2 has a Gpu card in it while the other only has intergrated graphics.

Although im not sure how well the Gefore 9100 would run the games you mentioned as it a very low end card.

If you want, we maybe able to find you a better computer for the price. If you do want to see what we can find, then what we will ask is,

Whats your budget, are you needing/wanting anything else like monitor, keyboard, mouse, ect?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 1:19:50 AM

Buy the AMD and spend the $50 saved on a cheap graphics card.
December 27, 2009 1:51:21 AM

Do you have any computer building skills? I recently built a Q9550 with GT250 (the 512MB version) with 4GB of memory for under $700, this did not include the OS though so ya there's another $100 I wasn't thinking about a second ago, but it's a much more powerful computer.
December 31, 2009 3:00:14 PM

Similarly, I'm trying to decide between the i5 which seems to be a single processor vs. a quad core q8300, both from HP. The i5 comes with higher end GPUs, but i would need to replace them anyway (comes with a 1 GB radeon 4650) since I'm trying to prepare for city of heroes going rogue which seems to require a GTX 285 at the top end
July 7, 2010 10:56:00 AM

deathsentry said:
Similarly, I'm trying to decide between the i5 which seems to be a single processor vs. a quad core q8300, both from HP. The i5 comes with higher end GPUs, but i would need to replace them anyway (comes with a 1 GB radeon 4650) since I'm trying to prepare for city of heroes going rogue which seems to require a GTX 285 at the top end


i5 does not have a single core its is either dual core/Quad core
a c 105 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 12:38:45 PM

deathsentry said:
Similarly, I'm trying to decide between the i5 which seems to be a single processor vs. a quad core q8300, both from HP. The i5 comes with higher end GPUs, but i would need to replace them anyway (comes with a 1 GB radeon 4650) since I'm trying to prepare for city of heroes going rogue which seems to require a GTX 285 at the top end


any i5 is a better CPU then the q8300.
a c 105 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 12:40:37 PM

tortnotes said:
The AMD machine is going to take upgrades a bit better... socket AM3 has got some life in it, whereas Intel's 775 is end of life.



both upgrade paths will be limited by the HP BIOS. Often the best chip you can upgrade to on those mass market PC is the best one sold in the model line.
!