Sign in with
Your question

First time builder first time boot question

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2009 4:51:15 AM

Hey everyone, I've been asking quite a few questions on these forums lately as I'm putting together my first custom computer and have found you all to be very helpful but I do need a bit more help. You see, I'm not sure how to go about starting the machine up for the first time and what's involved in this. I have 3 options of operating system discs to use if this helps: windows xp, windows vista home premium and windows 7 release candidate edition.
A list of my components I'll have in my build:
CPU: Intel core I5
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D pro edition
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x2gb DDR3 1333mhz
PSU: Corsair TX750W
DVD: BenQ 24X SATA DVD writer
CPU Cooler: Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro rev.2
HDD: 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda (I have a 1tb version of this from a friend I hope to use also)
GPU: HSI Radeon HD 5850 1gb
CASE: Coolermaster HAF 922 mid tower

I have no knowledge of how the whole start up part works which is why I'm hoping the great people here can help me on this part :D 
If you have any recommendations for when i put the thing together (doing it tomorrow) then PLEASE speak up, last thing I want is all that money and work go to waste because I didn't do something correctly. I'll be building it using an anti-static wrist strap I picked up for a couple of dollars and doing it on a wooden floor and wooden table.
Thanks All!! :) 
Jared
October 9, 2009 5:32:43 AM

Just set the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive, insert the OS disk and boot up. Follow the prompts.
m
l
October 9, 2009 5:54:39 AM

Thanks mate and how do I go about doing this? thanks for your patience
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2009 6:04:29 AM

Will do. thanks. does any1 know what os i should use tho?
m
l
October 9, 2009 6:09:00 AM

Make sure keyboard is plugged into the computer.

1. Let the good old Asus splash screen go through.
2. Hit delete when the screen goes away and it says "Press any key..."
3. Scroll over to the Boot tab.
4. Go to Boot Device Priority
5. Change 1st Boot Device to your CD/DVD Rom Device. (You will have to find it in the list, just hit Enter).
6. Save and Exit.
7. Pop in your OS CD before the system reboots.

Now it will load the disc and just follow installation instructions. Let me know if you run into problems, I have the same mobo as you do.
m
l
October 9, 2009 6:16:45 AM

Will do dude! thanks as always
m
l
!