Sign in with
Your question

Prime95 keeps frying motherboards?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 19, 2012 2:44:55 PM

Hello,
I have a 1100T BE that I have been trying to overclock to an average 4.0. At first, I played with different combinations of multiplier and FSB and voltage, and got it to stop BSODing at 206x195 @ 1.510v. I ran my computer without running prime95 for 4-5 days.

When I finally got brave enough, I ran prime95 for maybe 5 seconds, and the computer turned off and would not turn back on. Jumped my PSU, was fine, reset cmos, did all the basic troubleshooting and narrowed it down to my motherboard.

Oh yeah, as for temps, I have a Corsair H60 that ran at 35C idle and 47C playing games. While running prime95, the highest temp read from CoreTemp was 55C.

So, I replaced the motherboard, and the new motherboard only allowed me to change voltage in increments of .025. So I got it to stop BSODing, freezing, or anything at 1.525v

This time I tried 200x20 to achieve 4.0. Got brave again, ran prime95 for maybe 30 seconds, computer turned off and will not turn on again. Looks like I fried another motherboard? 1.525 voltage does not seem too high for a thuban, and the second motherboard was a gigabyte GA-880-D2H.

The first motherboard, I forget the model, but was a ~100MSI board. My specs are as follows:

Ultra 750w PSU
1100T Thuban Phenom X6
6GB Corsair XMS first try
4GB 2nd time
1GB Hitachi hd
GTX 570 SCHD
a c 100 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2012 3:07:39 PM

That's actually a pretty high voltage, and that's a pretty cheap motherboard. If you want to push it like that you need to invest in something decent.

Not sure if you've ever looked at your CPU specs,
http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/43375.pdf (table 2.3.16)
Lists 1.475V as the max - and anyone who wants longevity knows not to go within 0.1 to 0.05V of that.
January 20, 2012 8:30:45 PM

What exactly does that have to do with the motherboard? Temperature is related to longevity more directly than the voltage isn't it?

I recently bought an ASUS M5A97, it's stable at 3.8 @ 1.45 after I enabled LLC. It can probably go this speed at a lower voltage with LLC enabled, but I am just sick of this business, and my temperatures cap at 55C anyway under prime95 after an hour.
Related resources
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
a c 97 V Motherboard
January 20, 2012 11:10:19 PM

I don't know which ultra psu you have but most are really bad quality. With a bad quality psu the voltage and amps are unstable or underpowered making the mobo regulation have to work more and possibly causing your failure. This is why it's important to have a good quality psu. Also there's really no point in having prime more than 1 day.

I would agree temp is more so than voltage. High temps and good voltage will die faster than high voltage and good temps. But both high voltage and temps are damaging, you should keep both in spec. Both affect stability, both can cause the cpu to burn up, and both can kill in the long run.
January 28, 2012 2:44:33 AM

I've actually isolated it to the motherboard and LLC. I've enabled LLC and replaced both motherboards with an ASUS M7A95 (not too expensive either), and they run prime95 fine at 1.47v @ 4.0
!