Help Freezing, Crashing and Restarting Problems!

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Hello My names Philip and i'm new to the forum :D.

Well my problem is that i had freezing and crashing problems in late june when we broke up from school, since then it's been all day Mac because of this and yet it still continues now, here's my problem:

I had a Freezing, Crashing and Restarting Problem and i looked up and thought it could be overheating, so i checked my CPU Temp on speedfan and it used to idle at around 77.5C Which was very high so i cleaned it out 3 Times till it went down to 50 Degrees and said that's fine but the Symptoms still were there :cry: so i went in safe mode and no crashing happened and i was like :pfff: and i was very annoyed, back into the case i go and i pull out the graphics card with anger, and found a blown capacitor on it, it was a FZ71 SS Capacitor i went to my step dad asked him to buy a new graphics card and we got the MSI Radeon HD 3850 OC Edition(OC=OverClocked) and now the crashing has stopped dramatically but anytime i try to load the Catalyst Control Centre or ATI Tool It just crashes and it leads me to think it's Either the RAM or the PSU that's causing this. One more thing is that i think my power supply isn't enough (350 Watt with dual 12V Rails 10 Amps on one and 15 Amps on the other) so i ran Everest Ultimate Edition and my +5V Rail is running at 5.70V and my +12V Rail is running at 12.34V and i think i'm overloading the Power supply, Anyone care to share their experience and magic skills?

TheViper

Distinguished
You need a new PSU. And you'll want one very soon or it will fry another component.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic - trust these names for the PSU. Get a minimum of 450 watts and 25 amps on the 12v rails.

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Ha, well only get a little technical :p, I really hate this and also:

I checked in Everest Ultimate to find my multiplier going back and forth from 14x to 17x when it should be 17x and staying there! :ouch: :eek:

TheViper

Distinguished
That just sounds like a power saving feature kicking in. Let your system idle a while and check it. Then run a heavy app and check it again.

Also, try removing the driver with a driver cleaner tool and then reinstalling the CCC and driver. That may reduce the CCC problem.

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

I've tried that, using driver sweeper to clean out my old Nvidia Drivers and ATI Drivers and then I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI's website (9.9 For the HD 3850) So yeah i went and checked in the bios, i think everest is reading it wrong because there in the bios my 12V Rail was at 12.20(Average) and my 5V Rail was 5.20V (Average) so err yeah :sweat:

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Read my other thread in the CPU & Components section, i've resolved/solved it already. Moderator please close this thread :)