Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2009 1:42:20 AM

I have a HP PAVILLION a645c. When i start my computer it goes to a weird screen that says alot of random words and numbers and the only word that stood out to me was copyright phoenix or something. At the bottom of this screen it says that i can press f1 to go to setup and that's it. Ive been looking into this for a while now and it says that when it goes to the logo screen you need to pound f10 until it lets you restore it. But when i restart it it doesnt go to the HP logo screen. Ive looked on multiple sites and they do not sell system restore disks anymore.

Im just hoping somebody knows a trick or can help me be able to
December 27, 2009 1:43:05 AM

use my computer again. Thank you :)  ^
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 3:10:46 AM

Sounds like you have a HDD problem or a floppy disk in the floppy drive.
Related resources
a c 110 à CPUs
December 27, 2009 11:22:43 AM

If your computer is 4 or 5 years old your battery may have failed, the CMOS reset and the boot sequence defaulted to the floppy drive; hence, the "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" error.

Using a DOS boot disk in the floppy will allow you to start the computer. You may then use a series of DOS commands to check the status of your hard drive. At the the 'A' prompt type: CD C:\

The prompt should switch to the 'C' or hard drive. At the 'C' prompt type: dir

A series of directories should scroll across the screen --- including the Windows sub-directory. At this point you have verified your OS is still intact on the hard drive.

A new battery will cost around $5. After replacing the battery you may enter the BIOS by pressing the <F10> numerous times at the first configuration screen until you see 'entering setup' at the bottom of the screen.

Find the 'Boot' menu, select 'boot priority' and set the 'C' drive first on your boot sequence. Typically, you may then hit 'F10-Save and Exit' and select yes to save the changes to your BIOS.

It is possible you may be able to change the boot sequence without buying a new battery and start your computer with the Windows OS --- but once you shut down the computer the changes made to the boot sequence in the BIOS will not be saved.

a b à CPUs
April 25, 2011 4:49:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!