Solved

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on my system. The following results seem contradictory:

Windows Aero - Not capable

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 - Compatible

Is Upgrade Advisor telling me that my graphics card is Compatible with Windows 7 but that I cannot run Windows Aero?

After doing some research I found that the graphics card has DirectX 8.1.

The graphics requirements for Windows 7 are: DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Model 1.0 or higher driver

OK. I should have checked the NVIDIA Web site for driver updates before posting this. I thought my drivers were up-to-date but they aren't. There is a driver update with DirectX 9 for my card.

If the moderator thinks this post might be useful to others that see this apparent contradiction in the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor report then leave it up. If not, feel free to delete it.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows upgrade advisor
  1. I installed the new drivers and ran Update Advisor again with the same results. I use a CRT TV for that system's display so I can't read much of the fine print when I do installations and diagnostics. I'm going to move the system so I can use a better display and check to see which version of DirectX is now installed. I'll post an update when I do.
  2. Best answer
    BlueCat57 said:
    I installed the new drivers and ran Update Advisor again with the same results. I use a CRT TV for that system's display so I can't read much of the fine print when I do installations and diagnostics. I'm going to move the system so I can use a better display and check to see which version of DirectX is now installed. I'll post an update when I do.


    Windows Aero will run on a system which has at least 3.0 in Windows Experience Index.
  3. hallowed_dragon said:
    Windows Aero will run on a system which has at least 3.0 in Windows Experience Index.


    I found out that I do have DirectX 9.0c installed on the system. I thought it might be an issue with WDDM but couldn't determine which version I have.

    Since the system in question is running Windows XP I'm not sure how to find the Windows Experience Index.

    The Update Advisor message for Windows Aero says: Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. ...

    This implies that the adapter won't support Aero but your comment implies that Aero is dependent on the WEI as well as the graphics card.

    Since my graphics card supports DirectX 9 it may support Aero in another system with the proper WEI.

    While it is not relavant to this particular discussion what I am planning to do is rearrange some of my existing hardware to upgrade several of my home systems from XP to Win 7. I have one system that I am scavanging parts from and this display card in in that system. I may just swap the card over to the intended system and see what happens.

    Thanks for the reply.
  4. Just checked the Upgrade Advisor for the other system. The graphics chip is compatible but the system is "Not capable" of Windows Aero. Again, the system is running Windows XP do I need to find out how to determine the WEI for a system running Windows XP.

    I originally thought I needed to put a graphics card in that system, but apparently I don't.
  5. Ah the simple solutions. Just as in Vista there is no need to use the Aero theme in Windows 7. Simply disable it and no more concerns about whether or not your system is capable of running Aero. Why doesn't Upgrade Advisor simply say something like that?
  6. If you're running a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 in your rig, odds are it's a pretty old rig... that said... there's no way in the world paying full price for Windows 7 makes sense for you. If you're scoring a $30 student edition, that's one thing... but if you're paying $100+ for a OEM/retail copy... well, I think I'd take a pass and save my money until I was ready to build a proper rig.
  7. BlueCat57 said:
    I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on my system. The following results seem contradictory:

    {1} Windows Aero - Not capable

    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 - Compatible

    Is Upgrade Advisor telling me that my graphics card is Compatible with Windows 7 but that I cannot run Windows Aero?

    {2}After doing some research I found that the graphics card has DirectX 8.1.

    The graphics requirements for Windows 7 are: DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Model 1.0 or higher driver

    OK. I should have checked the NVIDIA Web site for driver updates before posting this. I thought my drivers were up-to-date but they aren't. There is a driver update with DirectX 9 for my card.



    {1}Windows Update Advisor is telling you that you can use your card with W7(compatible), but is compatible only with the basic graphical version of the OS(without aero). So is compatible with W7, but not fully.
    {2} :??: You are confused, one thing is software and hardware DX. Your card is hardware DX8.1, W7 has/comes with DX9.0L, DX10, DX10.1 and DX11.
    What windows Adv. is telling you is that "you need HARDWARE compatibility with DX9 or above to use AERO".
    Your card is compatible with SOFTWARE DX9, but isn't and will NEVER be HARDWARE compatible with DX9. :(
    You need to buy, new video card to use AERO, or use W7 without AERO.
    Bye. :sweat:
  8. killmess said:
    {1}Windows Update Advisor is telling you that you can use your card with W7(compatible), but is compatible only with the basic graphical version of the OS(without aero). So is compatible with W7, but not fully.
    {2} :??: You are confused, one thing is software and hardware DX. Your card is hardware DX8.1, W7 has/comes with DX9.0L, DX10, DX10.1 and DX11.
    What windows Adv. is telling you is that "you need HARDWARE compatibility with DX9 or above to use AERO".
    Your card is compatible with SOFTWARE DX9, but isn't and will NEVER be HARDWARE compatible with DX9. :(
    You need to buy, new video card to use AERO, or use W7 without AERO.
    Bye. :sweat:


    +1 that is exactly what I was going to say :]

    Except he doesn't need to buy a new video card. He needs to buy a new pc. No option.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Windows 7 Directx Graphics