What motherboard fits my pc

jsmith3

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I need a mother board that fits a pent 4 but will upgrade and possibly overclock. I'm am a complete beginner at this. So in order not to wear on anyones nerves i would prefer sources for reading. albeit that i'm just starting i have a tech background and learn very quickly

any help would be appreciated

jsmith3

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks hunter. looks like i'll be scrapping it. any suggestions on a mid range board. The tower has 4 expansion bays (front) and 8 expansion slots (bak) and 2 usb (front) built in (2.0 i believe). perfer fire-wire and overclock capable it's for multi-media so something that won't crunch audio or vid.

ps. i dont think i can afford a dual core so that's out for the time being

p.p.s. any literature you can recomend 4 a beginning beginner will help tremendously

jsmith3

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks hunter. looks like i'll be scrapping it. any suggestions on a mid range board. The tower has 4 expansion bays (front) and 8 expansion slots (bak) and 2 usb (front) built in (2.0 i believe). perfer fire-wire and overclock capable it's for multi-media so something that won't crunch audio or vid.

ps. i dont think i can afford a dual core so that's out for the time being

p.p.s. any literature you can recomend 4 a beginning beginner will help tremendously

Read through proximons guide to choosing parts and take a look at tecmo's builds by usage, it should givce you an idea of what components to look into for your price range
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257075-31-guide-choosing-parts
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended-builds-usage

Most boards will have firewire and USB and atleast basic OCing capabilities. Dual cores are about as low as you can go right now, single cores are hard to find so i wouldnt rule out a dual core. Once you decide on a budget for your upgrade stop back in and we will help you pick out a good set of compatible parts.