New Computer

pixpuf

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I am going to purchase a new desktop to be used for business and some gaming. I only do online gaming and no speakers or joy sticks or anything else outside. I want something fast and dependable and would like some ideas about configurations. My main concern is for speed and ability to do business and some gaming. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Solution

If it wasn't always like that, it's unlikely to be a hardware issue. What is your current setup? One thing I would check for is dusk, especially if the system is old. Check the temps using HWmonitor.
If not, then anything you can buy today is likely leaps and bounds ahead of your current computer. But still, we would need your current setup to determine that.
Will you be building it yourself, having it built custom or buying from a manufacturer?

Gaming is very broad. Your choice in games could mean the difference between a $500 computer and a $2000 computer. To help we need to know what games you intend to play.

A pricerange would help also.

pixpuf

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

I am going to have it built by some company. The only gaming I do is on websites like BigFishGames and online companies like that.

I see. Flash games don't require much in the way of the graphics card so you would be fine with the onboard in most cases. I'd still recommend making sure you have a decent integrated chip on the motherboard like the radeon 3200 or 4200.

Generally I'd recommend an athlon IIx4 620 processor, 4GB of any ram, a 400W PSU at the least, an Asus or Gigabyte motherboard. I really don't know what options you have with building though since I don't know what company is going to build it?

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
www.ibuypower.com
www.cybergamingpc.com

I used these two companies to built before and they're plenty good compared to Dell or HP in terms of what they put in there. Hell since its the holidays, you might grab some helluva good deals as I did on black friday.

Of those two...I really hate them both But i'd prolly go with dell...

Those are custom gaming computers and none come with less than a radeon 4350, which would be a waste of money. I personally would not spend more than $500 (not including the monitor) for his computer uses.
There could be a Dell and HP war or whatever but really there are bad experiences with both and good experience with both. Don't worry too much about brand.

pixpuf

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
My gaming is minimal and I mostly use it for business, payroll etc. I just like something not slow or sluggish. Lately I'm having trouble with internet explorer on everything and nothing is responding.

If it wasn't always like that, it's unlikely to be a hardware issue. What is your current setup? One thing I would check for is dusk, especially if the system is old. Check the temps using HWmonitor.
If not, then anything you can buy today is likely leaps and bounds ahead of your current computer. But still, we would need your current setup to determine that.

Solution