Tyan s5397 & windows 7

gjtromp

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I am trying to install windows 7 (64 bit) on a tyan s5397 (tempest i5400pw) motherboard with 2 Xeon e5462 processors, 16GB and an nvidia quadro video card. De install always hangs after it displays "setting up windows" and in safe mode the last thing it does is displaying that it loaded disk.sys. I think it is some hardware incompatibility issue with either the graphics card/onboard vga setup or with the bios (I am running a fairly old bios 1.02, although I haven't seen any issues in the updates that seem relevant).

I would appreciate any suggestions to solve this issue. The machine is now running linux which suites 99% of my applications and to update the bios I apparently need a floppy drive (and a working floppy :) and to remove the graphical card I need to remove and reattach a bracket supporting a fan to cool the memory and I would like to have at least some hope that it will work in the end.

Regards,

Gert-Jan

bilbat

Splendid
Probably worth corresponding with Tyan - my guess: 1.05 is an update to Tesla, and if I'm not mistaken, the quadro's are pretty much 'architecturally' identical - may be the problem. And - get a floppy! They're infinitely handy [:bilbat:2]

gjtromp

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Hi bilbat,
Thanks for the reply. It could very well be fixed by the update for Tesla, so updating to 1.05 will probably be a smart move. I'll dig up a floppy drive from the basement and upgrade the bios.

Regards,

Gert-Jan