Any guides to moving my HD+OS to new rig?

hieronymos

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Saw that it's mentioned there are guides on how to move a HD full of apps + OS (Vista 64bit home premium) to a new rig with new MOBO + CPU +GPU, etc.

Any such guides in tomshardware.com forums?

A buddy says that unlike with Apple Os, with Windows Vista & 7 it's not even possible; can move data + Vista--but no apps. All apps must be reinstalled.
So what's the truth on this?

I suppose I should just bite the bullet and upgrade to 7. It's just that reinstalling all my apps will take days.

Solution
I agree with Hawkeye22 that a new install is preferred. If you really want to try to boot up the old drive on the new system, try this:

1) Make a complete backup of the old drive first. That way, if it gets corrupted during this process you will not be cursing me out from now until Doomsday.

2) Put the old drive and a DVD reader in the new system. Put the Vista distribution disc in the reader. Boot from the Vista disc.

3) Choose to do a Repair install. This will give you the best chance of having Vista replace whatever low-level drivers need to be changed.

4) Reboot to the hard drive. If it works, immediately go to Windows Update and see what needs to be updated since that disc was cut.

Let us know what you choose to...
A clean install is always recommended when moving to a new system/motherboard because the system drivers will most likely not be the correct ones for the new board.

As for win 7, you should be able to do an "in place upgrade" that will keep all your programs intact.

hieronymos

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Thanks Hawkeye22, but didn't really understand your reply based upon my situation.
My current OS is Vista. So when I move my HD to a new MOBO...what exactly are my options?
I've never tried moving to a new board before, and am unclear on exact procedure.
Are there any how-to guides you could recommend?

As I stated above, if you want to stick with Vista, you will have to completely reinstall Vista and all your programs from scratch. You will need your Vista install CD. This includes finding and installing all the drivers too. As for guides, I'm sure if you google for it you'll find plenty of info and videos.

As for Win 7 and the in place upgrade, that will only work in your current computer. Basically, buy a Win 7 upgrade CD and it will upgrade Vista to Win 7 leaving all your programs intact with minimal fuss. Of course, this is not an option if you are definately planning on moving to a new motherboard.

I agree with Hawkeye22 that a new install is preferred. If you really want to try to boot up the old drive on the new system, try this:

1) Make a complete backup of the old drive first. That way, if it gets corrupted during this process you will not be cursing me out from now until Doomsday.

2) Put the old drive and a DVD reader in the new system. Put the Vista distribution disc in the reader. Boot from the Vista disc.

3) Choose to do a Repair install. This will give you the best chance of having Vista replace whatever low-level drivers need to be changed.

4) Reboot to the hard drive. If it works, immediately go to Windows Update and see what needs to be updated since that disc was cut.

Let us know what you choose to do, and how it goes.

Solution