Extracting Data from Laptop Hard Drive

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Laptops
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 18, 2011 5:22:08 AM

Hello,

I recently dropped my laptop onto cement. When rebooting it, it will take 15-20 minutes to reach the user login screen after loading Windows.

Once this screen is reached, I can move the mouse but when attempting to click the user icon or other icons the laptop is non-responsive.

At this point, I'm wondering if there is a means through which to extract the data from the hard drive of the laptop without being able to access Windows.

Sincerely,
Ryan

More about : extracting data laptop hard drive

a b D Laptop
a c 110 G Storage
August 18, 2011 5:51:29 AM

you could try to boot of a Linux Live CD and see if you can still access the data and move it to a USB Flash drive
m
l
August 22, 2011 3:56:07 AM

Hi Emerald:

I appreciate your time in responding as well as the suggestion. I'll give it a trip and let you know how it goes.

m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2011 12:42:17 AM

Hi Everyone:

I booted up the laptop using Ubuntu. In order to attempt to pull files off the laptop I selected the "Home Folder" icon on the left menu bar.

This opened a screen similar to Windows Explore. I selected the icon on the left that appeared to be a hard drive labeled "OS" in order to attempt to access the file system. I received the following error message:
----------------------------------------
"UNABLE TO MOUNT OS

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: $MFTmirr does not match $MFT (record 0). Failed to mount '/dev/sda3': input/output error. NFTS is either inconsistent or there is a hardware fault; or its a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware

In the first case run chkdsk/f in Windows then reboot into Windows twice.

The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory; (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1).

Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details."
----------------

I'm assuming this means the hard-disk is damaged. Any insight would be genuinely appreciated.

Is there another means to access the HD files using Ubuntu?

Sincerely
Quantum10
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 110 G Storage
December 5, 2011 9:49:14 PM

have tried running an Error check/Scandisk in Windows?
m
l
December 12, 2011 11:04:27 PM

Hello Emerald:

Thanks for replying. The laptop will not successfully boot in Windows. It is for this reason I am booting in Ubuntu in attempt to extract the data from the hard drive.

Sincerely,
Quantum10
m
l
!