AM3 Upgrade Question

G

Alright guys, first off happy holidays...

Anyway, I just got the AMD Phenom X4 965 BE 125 watt processor to upgrade my system for Christmas. I have the Giga-Byte M55SLI-S4 motherboard and 6.5GB of DDR2 800 ram. I've already checked Giga-Byte's website, and it says my board supports teh 125W processor. I am trying to upgrade from a AM2 6000+, and have a 550W PSU.

I have been trying for hours to get the new cpu to work, but have had no luck. Even my A+ certification has not helped my solve this problem. Essentially, I put the 965 BE in the board and it does not work. I have tried using all three of giga-byte's bios updates to try and get this thing to work as well, but nothing. When the 965 is in, nothing happens, but when I put the 6000 back in, everything is fine. None of the pins are broke or bent, and I wore an anti-static strap the entire time during the installation. There is no video on my monitor with the 965 in, so I can't tell what is going on.

I have had no luck on google trying to find solutions to my specific problems with my really old motherboard, so I decided to come back here for some help. Is there any specific or special procedure I have to do to get the processor to recognize that it's in a AM2 board? I would guess that it would do it automatically. If you guys could just help me out here, I would really appreciate it because I've been waiting to get this processor in for months now.

G

Looking back at the cpu support list, I guess I misread it. My thought was that because the cpu was on the page, it would support it. Looking at the other older boards from gigabyte, I guess it makes sense that they would put a bios version in the far right column. I suppose I will just have to buy a new mobo now as well. And even we make small mistakes sometimes...