Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Water cooling

Last response: in Components
December 27, 2009 3:35:33 AM

i have a water cooling system and the benchmarks are not that good. I was wondering if i add a second of everything will that give me better cooling. you now divide up what is getting cooled. btw i have room for it all in my tower

core i7 960 bloomfeild oc to 4 Ghz
2x xfx ati hd 5770
2 hitachi 2tb hdd
1 sony cd drive
1 hp dvd drive
1lg blu ray drive
16 ddr3 ram
gigabyte ga x58a motherboard
wifi card
tv tuner

cpu temp at idle is 50c and load is 80c

More about : water cooling

December 27, 2009 3:49:16 AM

What do you mean the benchmarks are not that good? What are the specs of the system and what temperatures are you getting? What are you trying to improve?
m
l

Best solution

December 27, 2009 3:52:59 AM

double up everything?

Depending on the design of your radiator, try higher CFM fans or get a larger radiator. I recommend the Black Ice GTX 360, if you have the room.
Related resources
December 27, 2009 5:13:14 AM

hunter315 said:
What do you mean the benchmarks are not that good? What are the specs of the system and what temperatures are you getting? What are you trying to improve?

core i7 960 bloomfeild oc to 4 Ghz
2x xfx ati hd 5770
2 hitachi 2tb hdd
1 sony cd drive
1 hp dvd drive
1lg blu ray drive
16 ddr3 ram
gigabyte ga x58a motherboard
wifi card
tv tuner

cpu temp at idle is 50c and load is 80c
gpu around the same

get the temps down is my goal

hope this helps make it more clear
m
l
December 27, 2009 5:58:24 AM

What kind of water set up do you have?
m
l
December 27, 2009 7:16:34 AM

Generally speaking you really don't need water cooling to cool an i7 960 @ 4.0Ghz. It will run warm, yes, but definitely not absolutely necessary to run water. I think you should look somewhere other than cooling for your computer's lack of performance.
m
l
December 27, 2009 7:56:01 AM

Wait a second. You've managed to on water cooling OC an i7 960 to 4GHz? Don't those thing turbo to nearly 4GHz anyways? You either have the worst cooling loop or chip known to man, or your just not pushing it hard enough. 60c load is good, but 50c idle is much to high for water. What settings are you using? (been awhile since I started this post, sorry if this info has already been provided.)
m
l
December 27, 2009 3:57:12 PM

it's important that you tell us what watercooling setup you have. If done right, a good watercooling setup will generally run pretty expensive ~$500. If you got a cheaper "kit" for $200, then there is your problem.
m
l
December 27, 2009 3:58:57 PM

You can get a very decent water cooling set up for $200. If you spend more than that, you're wasting your money.
m
l
December 27, 2009 4:02:07 PM

really? which setup? no, you can't. do some reseach. Talk to Conumdrum or rubix. Anyone who thinks $200 is good for watercooling needs to stick to air cooling.
m
l
December 27, 2009 4:02:35 PM

With 4.2 to 4.4 GHz accomplished w/o much effort on air with a 920, with 70C temps, I would think a 960 would be able to do 5G Ghz or more on air.
m
l
December 27, 2009 4:05:21 PM

Swiftech Apogee XT - $50
Laing D5 - $70
Swiftech MCR220 - $40
Tygon Tubes $30
DD 1/2" OD Fittings - $10

Total: $200

Right, that's a very horrible water cooling setup.
m
l
December 27, 2009 4:18:33 PM

you prices are low...plus shipping and possibly tax. Plus after all said and done, you'll be just as good as a good air cooled system. Add a better radiator and better waterblock and it will improve. However, you'll have the maintenance of a watercooled system. Again...do your research and don't make ignorant statements like anyone spending more than $200 is wasting their money.
m
l
December 27, 2009 4:39:55 PM

There really isnt a better waterblock than the XT, plus the ST 220 rad is the best bang for buck rad out there.
m
l
December 27, 2009 5:01:27 PM

yes, best bang for buck, but that won't get you much better than a top tier air cooled setup. If you want really good results that watercooling can offer, you'll need to look at better parts. It also depands on ambient temperaturs and airflow around the radiator. And if he's just looking to cool the CPU, or add in the videocard. My original point was that we would need to know what watercooling setup the OP has to give advice on why he isn't seeing a better reduction in temperatures. During stress testing, my CPU never gets above 35C. I also have the NB and SB chipset cooled in the loop.
m
l
December 27, 2009 5:07:07 PM

Maybe it's your watercooling that is the problem.
m
l
December 27, 2009 5:07:41 PM

Is the watercooler radiator working properly?
m
l
December 27, 2009 7:27:56 PM

japps2 said:
you prices are low...plus shipping and possibly tax. Plus after all said and done, you'll be just as good as a good air cooled system. Add a better radiator and better waterblock and it will improve. However, you'll have the maintenance of a watercooled system. Again...do your research and don't make ignorant statements like anyone spending more than $200 is wasting their money.

LOL...

Have you ever actually built a water cooling setup before? Like sirheck said, XT is pretty much top of the line, and an 220 is very sufficient at cooling the i7@ 4Ghz. Perhaps you should actually have some experience building the water cooling setup before calling others out and embarrass yourself.

EDIT: Oh, and to counter your just as good as an good air cooling solution, I had a Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz running with MCR220 at 40C while folding. An air cooler would do 70C. Just as good my arse.
m
l
December 27, 2009 7:37:29 PM

Omg how the hell you got 80c load, and why the heck doesnt ur pc shut down. The Max temps for i7s are around 75c. I recommend to downclock it to a stable one
m
l
December 27, 2009 8:15:38 PM

reseat your CPU block - it's obviously not making very good contact.

Also make sure your fans on the rad are up to scratch or try changing their configuration - you can OC an i7 9xx to 4GHZ on air without breaking 75 degrees on load so your loop is having a problem somewhere.
m
l
December 27, 2009 8:24:46 PM

what voltage have you put your core to?
those temps seems awfully high for a very modest OC. even on air i wouldnt really expect those sorts of temps.
m
l
December 27, 2009 8:30:26 PM

yep, I have...I have built a pretty good loop. But then you probably were too busy being a troll to notice in my additional post that I said I included my NB & SB chipset in the cooler loop. And I did have a qx6850 with a thermalright 120 cooler overclocked to 3.6GHz not breaking 45C.

I still stand by my original post...anyone would need to know what watercooling system the OP has in order to diagnose the problem.

and yes...you are being a troll...you hijacked this thread to argue about what the cost of a loop should be. if you want to continue this, pm me and we can continue offline
m
l
December 28, 2009 1:22:09 AM

Really? Let's see...

Quote:

it's important that you tell us what watercooling setup you have. If done right, a good watercooling setup will generally run pretty expensive ~$500. If you got a cheaper "kit" for $200, then there is your problem.

Quote:
You can get a very decent water cooling set up for $200. If you spend more than that, you're wasting your money.

Quote:

really? which setup? no, you can't. do some reseach. Talk to Conumdrum or rubix. Anyone who thinks $200 is good for watercooling needs to stick to air cooling.

I wonder who actually started this flame war: Me saying that a set up over $200 is a waste (which is proven by my example), or you, who doesn't know what he's talking about, saying that I need to do some more research?
m
l
December 28, 2009 1:41:04 AM

Meh. You at least proved your point.
m
l
December 28, 2009 11:45:28 PM

you're right yomama...I apologize. If the op is intending to just cool the CPU, you are right...$200 is adequate. I made the false assumption that he was cooling teh chipset and videocard too. Although I still disagree with your statement that anything over $200 is a waste without knowing all the facts and conditions. By the fact alone that the OP chose AMW's response as best means he just might be considering teh Black Ice GTX 360 radiator. It's a great radiator, but also $120 plus shipping. This radiator should cool the CPU plus some other components. Overkill for just cpu IMO.
m
l
!