Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RAID0 on fresh windows 7 64.

Last response: in Storage
Share
August 18, 2011 2:05:12 PM

Hi so i looked around my room today and i found that i have x2 80gb hdd i remembered that i use to use them in my old rig and they are not all that use`d maybe a year at most so long story short windows was slowing down found hdd`s need new windows !! so i did what every geek would do ! i tried raid 0 for the first time i watched youtube from msi one too ! i did all the steps i made the raid and all got to windows setup screen i hit install then BOOM ! Load driver :
no new devise could be found . make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media !!! i download the files from MSI ! from Intel! after all it is Intel chip-set ! yes i unzipped them too ! it couldn't find any drivers in the 64bit folder !(of course there was files in that folder) it found some driver`s in the 32bit so i said what the heck lets try it to started loading then BOOM same thing i even downloaded the other controller micron i think same thing so i hooked up my old hhd with windows on them the raid works !!! it works on windows ! not much use to them there i needed a faster boot drive but the idea is my work is good so far !! why cant i install windows to them ! where is the drivers !!!!!! in other words HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP PPPPPPPP ! oh one more thing i have x58 pro-e .. thanks.

More about : raid0 fresh windows

a b G Storage
August 18, 2011 2:38:03 PM

So just a recap as I am slightly confused.

You can and have installed windows onto a raid (raid 0 I am assuming) array using a newer set of HDDs. But you cannot install windows onto an older set of HDDs using raid?

First I would say post the specs of your computer, it will help anyone who wants to help you. Next I think you need to look for and find the raid drivers for your old HDDs which would probably come from the HDDs manufacture's website.

It would also help if you posted exactly what HDDs you are trying to use for the raid array. Basically we need a lot more specific information to help you out very much!
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 10:49:31 PM

no no me old hdd`s will not old but my 1tb hdd witch i got my windows 7 on them works fine they are not in raid ! now i want to format the pc ad i needed a littel bit of speed so i found that i had a hitachi deskstar 80gb hdd i have 2 so i put them in raid0 via bios and they are in raid0 now i tried to install windows on them i couldnt so i repluged the other hdds and loged to my old windows and in there is see them in raid and they are working but the thing is i cant install windows on them the drivers i got from my MB (msi x58 pro-e) and the one`s from intel didnt work at all it just couldt find any thats what i need help with and spec`s are

MSI X58 pro-e- ASUS GTX560Ti direct CU in sli on Samsung PX2370 LED 23in -
FSP bluestom 800W Quad Rail +12V 90A-Microsoft sidewinder/steelseries mouse pad
-Bloomfield i7 920 D0 @4000GHZ 200x20 1.375v~ 4018 211x19 1.328 V (auto) with Thermaltake frio -
6GB transcend pc-10600 @1333- ocz vertex 60gb os-WD 2x1TB
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 all in Thermaltake M9D mid tower case
m
0
l
Related resources
August 19, 2011 1:21:02 AM

j2j663 said:
So just a recap as I am slightly confused.

You can and have installed windows onto a raid (raid 0 I am assuming) array using a newer set of HDDs. But you cannot install windows onto an older set of HDDs using raid?

First I would say post the specs of your computer, it will help anyone who wants to help you. Next I think you need to look for and find the raid drivers for your old HDDs which would probably come from the HDDs manufacture's website.

None of this is true, Redundant Array OF Inexpensive Disks not Old Disks
no drivers for HDDs whether it's used for Raid or a Single Storage Drive
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 1:31:57 AM

stivan said:
no no me old hdd`s will not old but my 1tb hdd witch i got my windows 7 on them works fine they are not in raid ! now i want to format the pc ad i needed a littel bit of speed so i found that i had a hitachi deskstar 80gb hdd i have 2 so i put them in raid0 via bios and they are in raid0 now i tried to install windows on them i couldnt so i repluged the other hdds and loged to my old windows and in there is see them in raid and they are working but the thing is i cant install windows on them the drivers i got from my MB (msi x58 pro-e) and the one`s from intel didnt work at all it just couldt find any thats what i need help with and spec`s are

MSI X58 pro-e- ASUS GTX560Ti direct CU in sli on Samsung PX2370 LED 23in -
FSP bluestom 800W Quad Rail +12V 90A-Microsoft sidewinder/steelseries mouse pad
-Bloomfield i7 920 D0 @4000GHZ 200x20 1.375v~ 4018 211x19 1.328 V (auto) with Thermaltake frio -
6GB transcend pc-10600 @1333- ocz vertex 60gb os-WD 2x1TB
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 all in Thermaltake M9D mid tower case

First of all, are you sure that you've created the Raid0 array correctly, can you see it in the Raid array menu ?
secondly, download the drivers from here, navigate to f6flpy x64
http://www.msi.com/service/download/driver-8397.html
Thirdly you don't have to load it from a floppy disk as long as you install win7, you can put the drivers folder on the USB flash drive and navigate to it when you press load driver, let me know if it works
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 1:35:47 AM

ilysaml said:
First of all, are you sure that you've created the Raid0 array correctly, can you see it in the Raid array menu ?
secondly, download the drivers from here, navigate to f6flpy x64
http://www.msi.com/service/download/driver-8397.html
Thirdly you don't have to load it from a floppy disk as long as you install win7, you can put the drivers folder on the USB flash drive and navigate to it when you press load driver, let me know if it works

thanks for coming back to me yes its working on my other hdd witch it have windows on it it can read the raid fine and i did use that driver and i know i dont need floppy for it with windows7 ^^ any other thoughts?
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 1:56:57 AM

yea tell me what's the problem in 1 or 2 lines :) 
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 2:04:51 AM

ilysaml said:
yea tell me what's the problem in 1 or 2 lines :) 

hmm one line thats gona be a problem :p 
raid is OK on my 2 hdd`s tested on my old windows. so thats a fact :>

the problem is when i want to install windows on my ((new)) raid hdd`s using the drivers from msi/intel i get the error (( Load driver :
no new devise could be found . make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media !!!)) i need to know how to get over that error so i can intall windowns on the raid-0 :>
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 2:35:21 AM

1- raid drivers on a floppy disk or a USB flash drive ?
2- RAID is ok on old windows ? what do you mean by this ?
3- try not to setup windows on the RAID array just log into the 1 tb HDD's windows and check in the device manager if the raid array is there or not, if it's there and asks for a driver navigate to the files you downloaded and see what happens then
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 2:53:27 AM

ilysaml said:
1- raid drivers on a floppy disk or a USB flash drive ?
2- RAID is ok on old windows ? what do you mean by this ?
3- try not to setup windows on the RAID array just log into the 1 tb HDD's windows and check in the device manager if the raid array is there or not, if it's there and asks for a driver navigate to the files you downloaded and see what happens then

1- i do have them on USB( drivers) 2-i didnt format my old hdd just unpluged it for the test so when trying to install windows i just remove the power from my other hdd`s leaving the raid-0 hdds on.
3- my old windows didnt ask for the raid-0 drivers it just installed them im guessing from the internet .




ok here is step by step of what i did so far :
1- got my x2 hdd
2- went to bios and put it in raid
3- ctrl+i and i setup the raid-0
4- put the windows 7 cd in my dvd rom and restarted
5- the setup started bla bla bla and it now asked for the driver`s for raid
6- navigate to my usb ( all the driver`s witch i could find for the raid setup on my MB) to the drivers i went to folder (((f6flpy-x64))) i have win7 64bit and clicked enter
7- the setup looked in the file (( it have files in it )) and couldnt find any driver for the raid it said (Load driver :
no new devise could be found . make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media) i tried many drivers tell i hit the 32bit driver it FOUND one ! after it trys to install them it said (((((Load driver :
no new devise could be found . make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media)))
8-i went to http://www.tomshardware.com !! talked to ( ilysaml ) and yet to find a solution :p 
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 2:59:59 AM

why don't you try to install XP just for a try, until you get the blue screen asking you to hit f6, locate the drivers and see if it will recognize the RAID or not.
i really can't understand the old windows and old hdd story, you're talking right now which windows are you running ? on what HDD ? all i can predict is that you have a 1 TB HDD and 2 × 80 GB HDDS... do you have any others ? Does ur windows right now recognize the raid array ? can you access a partition of 160 GB right now ?
aha, another thing did you set Sata Mode as RAID or AHCI ?
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 3:13:21 AM

ilysaml said:
why don't you try to install XP just for a try, until you get the blue screen asking you to hit f6, locate the drivers and see if it will recognize the RAID or not.
i really can't understand the old windows and old hdd story, you're talking right now which windows are you running ? on what HDD ? all i can predict is that you have a 1 TB HDD and 2 × 80 GB HDDS... do you have any others ? Does ur windows right now recognize the raid array ? can you access a partition of 160 GB right now ?
aha, another thing did you set Sata Mode as RAID or AHCI ?

1- i would`v tryed windows xp but i dont have a floppy will i do but its dead :p 
2- you got it right my system got 1tb with windows on it( thats where im working atm) and i just put the x2 80gb drivers for the raid
3- yes my old windows see`s the raid and i tested it and coped files in to it working just gr8 its 153GB partion
4- i used raid(in bios) same problem i used AHCI same thing i didnt try IDE tbh but with raid my old hdd went to BSOD as it should be the windows is installed on AHCI if i remembered right not on raid
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 19, 2011 7:26:02 AM

Try bootok win7 into repair mode, load the drives from there and see if it see's your windows install with those drivers. If it can see your current Windows install it shows those drivers work and it will copy them to Windows. Try rebooting.

Another possiblity, if on of your drivers is unsigned, Win7 does not like it. You will need to go into repiar mode and approve the unsigned drivers. You can alternately hit F6 at boot if it can get to the bootldr and try booting with the checked for signed drivers disabled.
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 5:44:02 PM

tokencode said:
Try bootok win7 into repair mode, load the drives from there and see if it see's your windows install with those drivers. If it can see your current Windows install it shows those drivers work and it will copy them to Windows. Try rebooting.

Another possiblity, if on of your drivers is unsigned, Win7 does not like it. You will need to go into repiar mode and approve the unsigned drivers. You can alternately hit F6 at boot if it can get to the bootldr and try booting with the checked for signed drivers disabled.

i tried this just now no luck :<
m
0
l
August 20, 2011 8:25:12 PM

its working now it was the windows 7 cd i have it was bad ... i got another one and its working just fine now BUT! i cant see my other hdd`s !! in bios its on raid i have other 2hdd`s witch are not in raid windows did install them and i can see them in my IRST but if i tryed to make them available for windows use it says that i need to format them !! I CANT ! its like 2TB of files in there and the only other HDD i got is a usb 1tb (( its working fine with the new windows btw )) what should i do now ?
m
0
l
!