I7 2600k overclock question

Status
Not open for further replies.

waliber

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Hey everybody

I overclocked my 2600k a little more today after applying mx-4 thermal paste. It made me realize not only was the old paste not that great but I put too much on making it overheat like crazy. I used to get up to 68c with itunes and battlefield 3 open and that was at 4.2ghz. Also I would idle around 35. Now I put on the new paste and I cap at 55c with 4.5ghz at 1.330v. i did a little prime 95 and hit 72-75c but I'm not about the stress test because I hear those aren't realistic and can hurt your cpu.

I wanna know if this is a good overclock for my temps, volts, and such since this is my first overclock. Thanks!

edit: Also my overclock has been stable at 4.2 for a while now at 1.265. It's just since seeing these much better temps I'd like to get more out of this cpu.

i7 2600k at 4.5ghz
asus sabertooth p67 with 50mm fan
pny 8gb oc to 1600mhz
2xmsi twin frozr iii in crossfire
h60 watercooler
corsair 600t
wd caviar black 1tb
coolermaster 1200w silent gold psu

waliber

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I'm adding another question on here. I changed some settings around and now I have ultra high for load line calibration on and I turned on extreme for phase control and I changed the volage to 1.315. What I dont understand is how am I able to play battlefield and other games for hours but then when I leave my computer on idle overnight it freezes? I was thinking it was the phase control cause now its constant. I'm gonna keep testing and see what happens. Please someone help me out I'm so close to getting this right. Thank you!

waliber

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

This program is awesome! i have one problem though. I did the test and it crashed so i added some more volts but now its not letting me do the test cause my cputin is past 85? i dont know what cputin is and its stuck at 127c and not going up or down and my computer doesnt feel hot. its just sitting at idle. i found a workaround to disable that cputin so i can do the test but should i do that?

waliber

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
thanks jack everything's working its just the same problem is happening now on core 0. its like i disabled cputin monitor but then core 0 is saying it now when its really not and its same 127c thing which my computer would shut down before that happened. What i was thinking of doing is disabling all stop test cause of core temp and watching it for a half hour test and see what happens cause the program stops the test when this happens. My max temps on my cores were 82 for all 4 but the other thing is that my cpu temp on thermal radar says 72c which is good for a stress test which is making me wonder why the 127c thing is happening. also ive heard max individual core temp can be in the 80s during a test like this so its not bothering me to much. I just wanna know if this thing is stable and I think it is I havent had any freezes or blue screens after I upped the volage.

Status
Not open for further replies.