betting a laptop - compaq?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2004 1:48:17 PM

Hi,
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been considering 3 brands
1) eMachines - it seems that the machines are good value for money. But
for some reason I cant find any store that will sell a M5130 model. It
seems to me that that is a bad sign - but I may be wrong.

2) Dell - nice value for money but from experience the build seems tacky
and they're like bricks

3) Compaq x1000 - this is the one I;m tending towards. Nice form factor
and the specs are configurable on the website.

My questions are

* Is an eMachines a good buy? Or has anybody had any bad experiences
with them?

* The compaq x1000 is pretty slim (1.3" I think). I would like a slim
form factor but does the slimness affect the reliability ? (My office mate
has an Apple which is very slim and I've seen no problem with that)

* Has anybody run Linux on a compaq x1000?

Thanks
Rajarshi

More about : betting laptop compaq

June 3, 2004 7:27:33 PM

I have my doubts about E-machines. At one time they were in the same class
as Packard-Bell, but they may have improved the quality of their units by
now. Anyway, check out the reviews from the experts - not only for
E-Machines, but for all of them.

"Rajarshi Guha" <rajarshi@presidency.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.06.03.13.48.16.985660@presidency.com...
> Hi,
> I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been considering 3 brands
> 1) eMachines - it seems that the machines are good value for money. But
> for some reason I cant find any store that will sell a M5130 model. It
> seems to me that that is a bad sign - but I may be wrong.
>
> 2) Dell - nice value for money but from experience the build seems tacky
> and they're like bricks
>
> 3) Compaq x1000 - this is the one I;m tending towards. Nice form factor
> and the specs are configurable on the website.
>
> My questions are
>
> * Is an eMachines a good buy? Or has anybody had any bad experiences
> with them?
>
> * The compaq x1000 is pretty slim (1.3" I think). I would like a slim
> form factor but does the slimness affect the reliability ? (My office mate
> has an Apple which is very slim and I've seen no problem with that)
>
> * Has anybody run Linux on a compaq x1000?
>
> Thanks
> Rajarshi

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2004 2:06:51 PM

Keep in mind that oftentimes the price
equation boils down to pay now versus
pay later.

dk

"Rajarshi Guha" <rajarshi@presidency.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.06.03.13.48.16.985660@presidency.com...
> Hi,
> I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been considering 3 brands
> 1) eMachines - it seems that the machines are good value for money. But
> for some reason I cant find any store that will sell a M5130 model. It
> seems to me that that is a bad sign - but I may be wrong.
>
> 2) Dell - nice value for money but from experience the build seems tacky
> and they're like bricks
>
> 3) Compaq x1000 - this is the one I;m tending towards. Nice form factor
> and the specs are configurable on the website.
>
> My questions are
>
> * Is an eMachines a good buy? Or has anybody had any bad experiences
> with them?
>
> * The compaq x1000 is pretty slim (1.3" I think). I would like a slim
> form factor but does the slimness affect the reliability ? (My office mate
> has an Apple which is very slim and I've seen no problem with that)
>
> * Has anybody run Linux on a compaq x1000?
>
> Thanks
> Rajarshi

Related resources
June 4, 2004 2:28:36 PM

I would never buy another Compaq, after my experiences with both the product
and the attitude of the company. Steer Clear!

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> I have my doubts about E-machines. At one time they were in the same class
> as Packard-Bell, but they may have improved the quality of their units by
> now. Anyway, check out the reviews from the experts - not only for
> E-Machines, but for all of them.
>
> "Rajarshi Guha" <rajarshi@presidency.com> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.06.03.13.48.16.985660@presidency.com...
> > Hi,
> > I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been considering 3 brands
> > 1) eMachines - it seems that the machines are good value for money. But
> > for some reason I cant find any store that will sell a M5130 model. It
> > seems to me that that is a bad sign - but I may be wrong.
> >
> > 2) Dell - nice value for money but from experience the build seems tacky
> > and they're like bricks
> >
> > 3) Compaq x1000 - this is the one I;m tending towards. Nice form factor
> > and the specs are configurable on the website.
> >
> > My questions are
> >
> > * Is an eMachines a good buy? Or has anybody had any bad experiences
> > with them?
> >
> > * The compaq x1000 is pretty slim (1.3" I think). I would like a slim
> > form factor but does the slimness affect the reliability ? (My office
mate
> > has an Apple which is very slim and I've seen no problem with that)
> >
> > * Has anybody run Linux on a compaq x1000?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rajarshi

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2004 2:28:37 PM

Seconded.

In addition, I would never buy another Dull,
after my experience with both the product and
the attitude of the company.

Nor would I buy another e-Machine, after my

!