Will my old, old motherboard support a Radeon HD3850

So I have an old computer with a motherboard that uses an AGP 8x slot for the video card. (specs)

The Radeon HD3850 looks like the best AGP 8x card that's available, but I am scared it won't work if I plug it in to a machine this old.

Is there anything that would cause this to go wrong? Like, is there any chance the board can't handle a card with 512MB of memory, or should pretty much anything work as long as it has a compatible AGP 8x interface?

Note: I do not want to buy a new motherboard and upgrade this to a Core 2 system; I am just looking for a quick and cheap fix for my "second" computer.
2 answers Last reply
More about will motherboard support radeon hd3850
  1. It should work fine. Drivers are nto updated as often for AGP these days, but i doubt you'll have to worry about playing modern games on it that might have bugs.
  2. Good to know. I'm mainly interested in keeping the machine current enough for some mid-level games like Tropico 3 or The Sims 3, but it's not like I'll be trying to play Crysis on it or anything. Just trying to double-check everything before I buy, because I know from experience that mixing and matching old technology with new doesn't always work out the way you'd hoped.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Support Computer Motherboards Graphics Product