Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are the DON'T'S when building a new rig?

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2009 7:32:00 PM

So, I'm building my very first new rig this weekend. What are the "Don't" I should know about? I'm a bit nervous to be honest & want to be as caution as possible.

Any advice would be very appreciative!

More about : building rig

October 9, 2009 7:36:28 PM

well make sure you touch the side of your case to discharge your static or wear a antistatic wristband.
m
l

Best solution

October 9, 2009 7:52:16 PM

Going through this checklist as you build isn't a bad idea. The checklist is designed to troubleshoot problems, but it also can be used to avoid those problems in the first place.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
Related resources
October 9, 2009 8:03:21 PM

DONT let your pet alligator swallow the cpu
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:10:37 PM

Outlander_04 said:
DONT let your pet alligator swallow the cpu

OMG did that happen to you too!?!?

To the OP - is this to "building" or "buying"? Just so we are all clear on this.
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:11:25 PM

Dont save money by purchasing the cheapest PSU you can find with the wattage you think you need. Bad power makes for a bad experience.
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:18:18 PM

jared51182 said:
OMG did that happen to you too!?!?

To the OP - is this to "building" or "buying"? Just so we are all clear on this.

I already have all the parts...I'm putting it together this weekend.
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:23:59 PM

Make sure you discharge any static, as was mentioned. You don't necessarily need a wrist band or anything. I work on computers a lot, never shocked once.

Anyway, as you are building your own for yourself, you want to be clean and careful. Gently apply force, make sure things are going in in the correct direction. For the clean part, most components come in anti-static bags. Take the components out, but if you have to put them back down, use the component back as a surface to put them on.

Carpet is okay, but not recommended. A table top, like a large, cleaned off kitchen table or kitchen counter would be a great surface to work on.

Good Luck!

Oh - never work on the computer with the power plugged in, and especially with the computer on. (It can be done, but I highly highly recommend being careful about that).
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:24:42 PM

dndhatcher said:
Dont save money by purchasing the cheapest PSU you can find with the wattage you think you need. Bad power makes for a bad experience.

I got the Corsair 850W.

here are the rest of the parts....

Intel i7 920
Intel DX58os
Western Digital Caviar Black 1T
Corsair Dominator 6gb
Radeon 5850
Haf 932
Samsung Optical drive

originally bought the OCZ...but Fry's has the Corsair on sale for the same price so I returned it.
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:26:16 PM

:)  - looks nice, and a 5850 - have fun with that !!!

Are you planning on overclocking the i7 920?
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:26:49 PM

jared51182 said:
Make sure you discharge any static, as was mentioned. You don't necessarily need a wrist band or anything. I work on computers a lot, never shocked once.

Anyway, as you are building your own for yourself, you want to be clean and careful. Gently apply force, make sure things are going in in the correct direction. For the clean part, most components come in anti-static bags. Take the components out, but if you have to put them back down, use the component back as a surface to put them on.

Carpet is okay, but not recommended. A table top, like a large, cleaned off kitchen table or kitchen counter would be a great surface to work on.

Good Luck!

Oh - never work on the computer with the power plugged in, and especially with the computer on. (It can be done, but I highly highly recommend being careful about that).

those are great advices...thanks!
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:27:37 PM

jared51182 said:
:)  - looks nice, and a 5850 - have fun with that !!!

Are you planning on overclocking the i7 920?

maybe later on...baby steps.
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:31:32 PM

baby steps indeed. The i7 920 is a great processor for OC'ing. Come back to the forums when/if you need help with it.
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:33:36 PM

jared51182 said:
baby steps indeed. The i7 920 is a great processor for OC'ing. Come back to the forums when/if you need help with it.

definitely will...I might even be here this weekend for more advices.
m
l
October 9, 2009 8:48:25 PM

No drinks near the build components! (Unless you are drinking pure alcohol). ;) 
m
l
October 9, 2009 9:22:46 PM

Dude, almost my same setup. You'll love it. The Intel board isn't bad. Fairly simple overclock. Like Jared said let us know if you need help with the OC...I have the exact same board man.
m
l
!