Need Help with a replacement HDD for my Laptop

Sad39

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I have an OLD laptop computer. For quite some time, the Hard Drive has been rattling like crazy. Finally, it just stopped. I am sure the HDD is broken.
I don't really care about the HDD, because the computer has just been for internet, and everything already has been backed up.

I would like to put a new HDD in there, so my kids can have the laptop for the internet.
The computer is a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S311.
The Hard Drive is a Hitachi Travelstar 60GB. From the stats, it is an Ultra ATA100/ ATA-6 interface. Here is the manufacturer info: http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/products/Travelstar_80GN

I look at Newegg and see several options.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605%20600003442&IsNodeId=1&name=IDE%20Ultra%20ATA100%20%2f%20ATA-6

Here are my questions.
1) Will these HDDs (specifically the Scorpio Blue 80GB for $54.99) work in this laptop?

2) Is there a significantly cheaper option? I find it hard to believe that i can put a 1.5TB Sata 6 drive in my new desktop for $59.99, but to get a MUCH smaller, much slower hdd is only $5 less? Am I missing something?

3) Can you recommend a better option? I am ok with a recertified or open box item. I just want the kids to be able to go online.

Thanks!

Yes, the option of a used dive is there and a significantly lower price - but it may last 1 day, 1 week, 1 month - very hard to say. For HDDs I would bite the bullet and get the cheapest New drive that satisfies your needs.

Yes the cost of a new PATA 2 1/2 " drive is very high compared to a new sata higher capacity drive. Very Low demand for the older drive and they take up space on a shelf that has to be factored in. At some point they will be very diff to find as manuf stop production, just not cost effect. And then the 2nd hand market will be the only source.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
1.) Both the Scorpio Blue and the drive that was in there are 2.5 inch and ATA/IDE, so yes it will work in your laptop.

2. and 3.) No there is not really a much cheaper option for IDE drives. You could go on eBay and buy a used drive, but no guarantee how long it will last (if it works at all). Your best bet is to go with the Scorpio Blue. It has a 3 year warranty, it is reasonably priced (in this current market), and it got fairly good reviews on newegg.

Good luck with your choice.