Does my mobo have 128bit limit??

h2k47

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
hi all..

I read that ATI 4870 memory interface is 256-bit (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/message.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=15&sond=0&p=1&subcat=208&dest=#) and i was wondering if my old mobo single pci-e slot would bottleneck the card . What i mean is will i have the same problem that people used to have with mobos that had support for AGPx4 cards only and performance loss they'd encounter if they were to buy an AGPx8 card?

Also, would my CPU bottleneck the graphics card? and if yes, how much performance loss is expected?

this is my mobo : ( http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=80062&tab=0)

Rest of the sepcs:

Motherbrd : ASUSTeK P5K SE Intel P35

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz.

Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB GDDR3.

Memory : kingmax Semiconductor 2 GB DDR2-SDRAM PC5300 .

Storage : WDC SATA-II 80 GB.

thanks for the help...

Solution
The memory interface on your video card runs independent of the interface on your motherboard. Even if you get a GTX 285, which has a 512 bit interface, it's still gonna have a 512 bit memory interface when you plug it into your motherboard. The limiting factors are going to be your CPU and to a lesser extent your PCI-E bus. Your board should have 16x PCI-E 1.0/1.1 lanes and the performance difference over PCI-E 2.0 16x lanes with that card is rather small.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
The memory interface on the graphics card will run in 256-bit and will not be bottlenecked by the PCI-E interface on your motherboard. Your CPU may reduce the cards potential a bit, but it should be able to overclock to reduce that. It would also be best to add another 2GB of DDR2 memory which probably only runs around $25-30 these days.

Looked it up, seems like $35.

The memory interface on your video card runs independent of the interface on your motherboard. Even if you get a GTX 285, which has a 512 bit interface, it's still gonna have a 512 bit memory interface when you plug it into your motherboard. The limiting factors are going to be your CPU and to a lesser extent your PCI-E bus. Your board should have 16x PCI-E 1.0/1.1 lanes and the performance difference over PCI-E 2.0 16x lanes with that card is rather small.

Solution