Sign in with
Your question

Glycol and destilled water?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2012 2:07:35 PM

I went to a car store and got destilled water, or rather water that has been destilled but only calcium taken away and replaced with natrium.

I also got Glycol which according the bottle is anti corrosive and has inhibitors in it:

Name: Red Longlife

Ingredients: 1, 2-etandiol, inhibitors.

More about : glycol destilled water

a c 324 K Overclocking
January 20, 2012 2:09:35 PM

What is your question?
January 20, 2012 2:57:49 PM

My question is if this is dangerous/bad?

I know there are som additives to buy in watercooling shops instead of pure glycol
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 20, 2012 2:59:34 PM

Why do you need glycol in your loop?
January 20, 2012 3:10:19 PM

My understanding is it kills algea, maybe it also is anti corrosive?

According bottle it says stops corrosion, also says it had inhibitors(algea killer?)
a c 100 K Overclocking
January 20, 2012 3:36:23 PM

distilled water from your local grocery store is all you need, plus a killcoil or anti bacterial additive.

Car inhibitors are atoms of metals that act as a sacrificial agent to prevent corrosion. If you purchased loop components properly, it should all be copper or maybe nickel plated, which generally work fine together. Just don't mix up with aluminum.
January 20, 2012 4:47:12 PM

Is there any proof of longterm problems?

I was under impression no algea will grow wilt Glycol
a c 100 K Overclocking
January 20, 2012 4:54:04 PM

Well that's probably true, but it doesn't make it a good additive to a CPU water cooling loop. You want high thermal conductivity, and it doesn't get much higher than pure water.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 20, 2012 5:09:32 PM

This topic is covered in detail in the WC sticky with text I've added as well as several links with testing to help discuss this.

Please read the WC sticky before posting in the forum; it is linked in my signature below.
!