rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hey guys, I am not sure if this belongs in this forum or not, but I am not sure what forum to put this in. I am building a new pc for a friend, and I want to put the new windows 7 rc on it. I am having a hard time trying to get an activation key. Is this still possible, or is it too late. I put this on my pc about 3 or 4 months ago, and I had no problems. Now, when I go onthe microsoft website to get the key, nothing happens. Thanks.

Aaron0989

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009

sorry to hijack the tread but im a student and also building a new computer but from what i understand is that the windows & that students get is an upgrade only version.

Is there any way of getting windows 7 for a new computer (for $30) as a student without a previous OS?

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
To the OP: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

They say that the RC is no longer available for download, but you can still get activation keys until October 21. You might want to try there, as you already have the RC.

To Aarron: If you are a college student, call your IT department and see if they supply Operating systems to students. Some schools provide full versions of OSs at discounts or for free to students. But you have to go through the school's IT department.

Good luck to both of you.

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Also looking into this as my mom works at NCSU, found this on one of the MS info/upgrade sites.

And while we don't recommend it, should you choose to upgrade your current PC from Windows XP or another operating system to Windows 7, we recommend that you get help with this process from your local computer service provider. You'll need to back up your current files and settings, perform a custom (clean) installation, and then reinstall your files, settings, and programs.

Says you can clean install.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Also check out this
http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows-7.aspx
look at the MSDN AA link and get a password from you school, its what jared51182 is talking about.
Free Win 7 pro DL if you go to almost any major school.

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

I went there, then I choose my language, click the the link, and nothing happens, the little green circle just spins, and spins.

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Have you already activated using your windowslive account? Or is this a new and different windowslive account? Unfortunately I can't help you troubleshoot it very well, but I can probably suggest some issues you might be running into. If you are trying to get a second activation key, with the same windowslive account, that might be your problem.

Does your friend have a windowslive account so that he can try to get an activation key?

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

I am trying to use a different account, but I am actually using my pc though. Maybe it recognizes my ip address.