Intel's SRT and SSDs

LastVampyer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a Z68 chipset and have 2 SSDs in RAID 0 as my main boot drive and I was wondering if it would be worth getting a 3rd SSD and using SRT. Would I see much of a performance increase by adding the 3rd as a cache?

Thanks,

Vamp

Performance is much better when a solid state drive is used as a Windows 7 boot drive and to store software applications.

Intel's SRT caching technology was designed for buyers who cannot justify or afford the cost of a larger capacity solid-state drive. According to Intel, the original idea was that for about $100.00 a user could purchase a small capacity ssd of about 20GB and use it as a cache to improve hard disk drive performance. The actual improvement could not compare to a stand alone ssd. Intel also tested different capacities all the way up to 512GB and concluded 64GB was the point of diminishing return. It made more sense to use a 64GB ssd as a boot drive that also contained software programs. Intel was hoping that if business clients saw an increase in performance, then they would be induced to purchase larger capacity ssd's.