Gigabyte P55M-UD2 shuts off when put to sleep then wont post

suitaroh1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hello,

Recently my comp has been having a few problems with resuming from sleep. When I put the computer to sleep it turns off. When I then turn the computer back on the fans, hdds, gfx card, phase LEDs etc turn on; however, there aren't any indicator beeps and the computer will not post (the monitor says there is no signal, the monitor btw is not broken) The only solution I could think of was to clear CMOS. After I did that the computer turned on fine and Windows 7 resumed from sleep. I have had this problem twice now and it is rather disconcerting. Is my mobo or psu shorted out? Or is there something else wrong or something else I should do?

Thank you.

My system

intel core i5 750
HSF: Zerotherm Core 92
mobo GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
case: NZXT M59
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V
RAM: OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
HDDs: two Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA and one HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K 1TB
OD: Lite-on 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA Black 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support
GFX: MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G OC

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Your OS is most likley having a BSOD while going into sleep mode. I've had this problem before and I had to system restore. I also had this problem when I OC'ed my CPU to far and is was getting BSOD. I would like to find out the exact solution to this problem for you and for me so try what I said first and post your results on here. I will also be looking up and calling around for a solution.

-Thanks for the question

suitaroh1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I tried a system restore to a point before the problem started and then put the computer to sleep and it still shut off. I am hesitant to turn it back on with a CMOS jump in case it is my mobo or PSU and will fry my other components if they short out for good. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

dustinhawkes

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I just built a computer with this mother board and I have had the same problem. I did find however, that if I turned the power supply switch off and pushed the power button for a few seconds to clear any stored capacitive power, and then turned back on the power supply, the computer would turn on and post correctly. I have also noticed that when the computer is off, my usb flash drive light will go on when plugged in. Seems kinda strange when the computer is shut down and still sending power to usb ports.

Anyway, I still do not know what is causing this sleep problem, and would be grateful for any real solutions you tech wizards might have. For now, at least you won't have to clear the cmos with the jumper.