Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Cooling
Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2012 5:24:30 PM

i bought a 8120 does great i use a bunch of things at once so it works great!
i really dont know to much about overclocking i know basicly what it does but im so far using oc genie 2 but it keeps my multiplyer at 15.5 (standerd) but changes the bus speed from 200 to 225 and so my speed only went from 3.1ghz to 3.5ghz. i only have my stock cooler might buy a $20-$40 air cooler, amd overdrive said it was at 15c idle on a full load 40c my computer was not on very long though only 1-2 min. my bois says 50c at start and 60c at idle which one should i trust? anyway i have not researched my voltage standerd 4 my coud yet so i dont know how much to change it?
my stats r
200 fsb
15.5 multiplyer
dont know voltage
thats stock
here are my questions
what should i change for a cooler better overclock?
if i increase the multiplayer or fsb will it damage the cpu?

More about : overclock 8120

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2012 2:15:27 AM

I would recommend that you use the BIOS for overclocking opposed to using software, its just safer and gives you more control over your OC. Secondly you definitely need a better cooler if you plan on overclocking. There are plenty of good air coolers out there, I know lots of people like the cooler master hyper 212, its effective and affordable. If you are willing to spend a little more I would recommend a corsair H60/H80 or a antec 620/920.

I was able to get my 8120 to 4.2GHz without changing the voltage at all, with a good cooler and decent motherboard 4.5GHz all the way up to 4.8GHz in very possible.

Stock voltage is 1.28, If your BIOS is showing a temp of 60c at idle I would be concerned the 8120 has a max temp of 61c.

What motherboard are you using, and if you haven't flashed to the latest version I would do that before attempting anything else. A lot of motherboards require a BIOS flash to completely recognize your CPU
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 11:59:53 PM

rage33 said:
I would recommend that you use the BIOS for overclocking opposed to using software, its just safer and gives you more control over your OC. Secondly you definitely need a better cooler if you plan on overclocking. There are plenty of good air coolers out there, I know lots of people like the cooler master hyper 212, its effective and affordable. If you are willing to spend a little more I would recommend a corsair H60/H80 or a antec 620/920.

I was able to get my 8120 to 4.2GHz without changing the voltage at all, with a good cooler and decent motherboard 4.5GHz all the way up to 4.8GHz in very possible.

Stock voltage is 1.28, If your BIOS is showing a temp of 60c at idle I would be concerned the 8120 has a max temp of 61c.

What motherboard are you using, and if you haven't flashed to the latest version I would do that before attempting anything else. A lot of motherboards require a BIOS flash to completely recognize your CPU

thanks, i have the latest BIOS but i have not flashed it I Might End Up Getting Some Cooler Masters Direct Contact Heatpipe Thing Otherwise Sorry For Taking So Long To Respond Toms Hardware Sent Me A Email About This Otherwise Today (The Day Im Writing This) I Just Got My AMD 6870. My Motherboard Box Says "AMD 9-Series Chipsets" i Think That Means A Complete AMD Build I Guess? I Got A 500w Power Supply Used All The Cords So Far And Need Splitters But Anyways With 2 Fans 1 Dvd Drive (I Have 2 Ill Hook It Up Later) 1 Hard Drive 1 AMD Saphire 6870 1 Wireless Card What Can I Use Safely (Without Killing My Power Supply) Could I Use I Wan't 2 Fans On A H70 Or Just Buy A H80 Alone (Comes With Fans) Im Worryed About Hooking Up That Will It Be Bad? I Also Want 2 Case Fans, 3 If I Don't Buy A H70 Or H80
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 5:35:48 AM

if you dont have the cash for a h series cooler id check out the hyper212+ from coolermaster second best choice in affordable cooling solutions as long as it fits in your case,but you def want a aftermarket cooler before you overclock anything drasticly
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 5:36:42 AM

of course just my op on the cooling but im sure everyone on toms will agree its def a contender
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 6:49:15 AM

Quote:
http://www.bosin.info/g.gif

Yes, if your using the stock cooler and your already running at 60degrees, that's room for concern. as the above post states if your budget is tight and you can't get a H80 or Antec Kuler series the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is an excellent choice.

However if you haven't flashed your BIOS to the latest version you should and need to do so, the 9xx series chipsets are pretty new and need the update, this can also contribute to your high temp reading it could be in-accurately measuring your temps. 60degrees is hot even for the stock cooler on that chip.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 7:09:25 AM

not sure what motherboard, but talking about ocgenie, im guessing msi.

If its similar to asus, the bios isn't idle cpu, instead its full speed so you can check your max temps at the bios before booting to windows.

Also, cpu temps != bios temps. The bios is the cpu socket sensor, the cpu sensor is inside the package. Look at it this way. heat dissipates 360 deg. Heatsink sits on the top of the cpu, ~180 deg. your cpu socket is not a heatsink but takes up the other 180 deg, and acts more like a heat trap, thats where the bios sensor is.

My cpu socket temp is almost a constant 10 C higher than the cpu itself. bios temp is measuring the bottom of the cpu, where the heatsink is not at.

It is normal for that temp to be higher, Asus AI never reports below 25c, even at idle in windows where AMD overdrive reports internal temps at 9c.

Max temp of 49C from AMD, are reported 59c from Asus AI.

If your bios tems are extremely high, make sure you have good air flow going to the heatsink to move the hot air out of the area.
m
l
!