Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help choosing a motherboard! :(

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 30, 2010 7:01:54 AM

Hey guys!

Newcomer here, and having a great time so far :bounce:  ! As you can see, I am having trouble choosing the right mobo for my new gaming rig.

Current setup:-

i7 930
ATI 5970 CrossfireX
Corsair Dominator 6GB 3x3GB
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Lite-On CD/DVDW Combo
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2
1 60GB SSD (still no idea what I'm getting though :na:  )
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case
Water cooling (don't really need to get into this in detail, too much of a hassle lol)

NOTE: I will be OC'ing

So ...

I really can't decide on a motherboard. I need something that will fit both my 5970s, both @ x16 slots, preferably ATX. Not a big fan of EATX. More room for water cooling = awesome in my book. I also want something with a good layout, don't want the graphic cards to interfere with the SATA ports.

I already have a couple in mind:-

Asus ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution with NF200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


EVGA X58 E758-A1 3-Way SLI
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...


Any other ATX motherboards that are better you guys recommend? Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!


Cheers!!
Mass :hello: 

More about : choosing motherboard

March 30, 2010 8:24:22 AM

I like the EVGA X58 3-Way SLI MOBO!
a c 292 V Motherboard
March 30, 2010 2:27:41 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

None of both, I would go for his ASUS P6X58 Premium is a better mobo, support SATA III and USB 3.0, support Quad-Crossfire and meets your requetiments for Crossfire at X16/X16. Suppor the new six-core, and all this for a less price $309.99
Related resources
March 30, 2010 11:12:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was told Rampage II Extreme is one awesome board too, think I should check it out. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Mass
a c 292 V Motherboard
March 31, 2010 1:34:53 AM

I still thinking the same, the ASUS P6X58 Premium is the best option.
April 1, 2010 12:23:07 AM

I have to agree with saint19 here, I'm building an i7 980x machine based on the ASUS P6X58 Premium MOBO, for the price you can't beat the features.
April 1, 2010 12:31:51 AM

But what about for gaming? Does it stand strong beside EVGA E760s and Asus Rampages?


Cheers,
Mass
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 3:07:18 AM

The gaming performance depends in 80% of the processor, ram, and GPU. The other 20% is for the HD and OC.
!