EAH 5770 crashes my system

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello guys,

I have an intel core i5 processor embedded on a DP55WG Intel Desktop motherboard, 8Gb of DDR3 RAM and a 500W PSU. I bought the ATI 5770 and as soon as I installed the drivers it won't let me log in windows.

I have windows XP and the pc crashes right after the loading of windows.

I also installed Windows 7 right after that to see how it will behave in this envoronment and the same thing happend. The only difference is that when the W7 were loaded it would pop a blue screen and the pc would reboot.

What's wrong with it? can anybody offer any advice? Could it be that I simply need a more powerful PSU?

Thanx for your time.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
On a fresh Windows 7 installation, it crashed? Sounds like a bad card to me. Try using another card to see if it really is the card.

G

Yes on a fresh w7 installation. It works alright untill I install the drivers. Right after I install them and I reboot it crashes.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Which drivers are you installing? Is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit? Try installing the latest drivers from the website if you're installing from the CD the card came with.

blackbyron

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I would say its your power supply that is way underpower with 5770. I would suggest go for a 650 Watt one. Even though the box says it needs a minimum of 450Watt, the psu also needs power for your motherboard, cpu, hard drive.

Charlette

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
5770 is not power hungry in comparison with anything else 3D in the last few years; 80 to 150W. I'd be focusing on the driver (current drivers appear to be very rough in various areas - perhaps the rush to DX11 and correspnding hardware diffs are to blame).

500W is plenty. The 5770 is very light on the power.

Update your drivers to 9.10. I am pretty sure they are the only ones that officially support the 5xxx cards other than the beta drivers. I was on 9.6 and when I installed my 5870 card it wouldn't even recognize it until I downloaded the latest driver. DON'T use the driver disk, I've heard many people have issues with those.

amiggo10

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I have the same problem. Same setup with the first post except my processor is i7-860 and a 750W PSU. It crashed after insalling the driver. I've tried the driver that comes with the card, downloaded driver from ATI site and version 9.10. All the same, it still crash. My Windows 7 64 bit is also a fresh install with all new hardware. Any help would be great. It is sad I would have to folk out money to get the NVidia 275GTX. May be I should have done that...

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

I'll take that 5770 off your hands for $100. :D

cschwatk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I'm having the same problem with Catalyst 9.10 all the way down to 9.2 drivers trying to run a XFX HD 4770. I don't know what the heck is going on.

amiggo10

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

Mind telling me what video setting has you changed in BIOS? Thanks!

amiggo10

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

I'll give area51reopened's suggestion a try tonight. If all elses fail, you could take it for $100 :D Of course, unless you live near by me (Sydney Australia), otherwise the postage... well our post service has 'gold standard' when it comes to postage rate :(

amiggo10

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Everything fails, I'm selling the card. That's the first time I hit a dead end with video card. Never a great fan of ATi but never thought it could be that bad.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Anonymous,

Reboot into Safe Mode (F8) and roll the drivers back. It sounds as though the drivers you installed were not compatible. To get your questions answered on the most common challenges around application compatibility when coming from a legacy operating system, why changes were made along the way, compatibility technologies inside the OS and methods for getting incompatible applications to run on Windows 7, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/yfa2yyz

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Zethell

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I had the exact same problem, and it's NOT a problem with the card!!

Here's how to fix it!

1. Start windows in safemode.
2. Use driversweeper to remove the ati drivers.
3. Boot up the computer normally.
4. Start the drivers installation from the CD, and select Uninstall.
5. Reboot.
6. Install the drivers from the CD!
7. Reboot.
8. Install this hotfix: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

This is a bug with the drivers and will affect most 5000 series cards.
I hope you didnt sell the card already, because it's a great card!

This worked for me, and i hope it works for you.

Other problems you might find with the current 9.12 drivers:
Huge mouse pointer - (fixed with the step 8, Hotfix)
Unable to watch video footage for longer periods, Graphics drivers will crash.
Unable to play certain games (DIRT 2), graphics driver will crash and windows will also crash.

dsj22

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I tried what Zethell suggested and it didn't help. I have a Core 5i with ASUS P7P55D-E PRO and G. Skill DDR3 2x2GB (CL 7-7-7-24) and Antec 750w PSU with Windows 7(x32) and it crashed within 1-2minutes of every game I try to play. Tried with 1 RAM only, tried with disable HD audio - doesn't help.

Tried Catalyst/drivers from CD, newest, and older. Installed after drive sweeper, etc. Tried from XFX (the card I have) and direct from AMD, including hotfix. Tried Motherboard BIOS update. Tried .NET udate. Ran DX diagnostics and GPU-Z to watch volts and temps. Nothing.

cikber

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
My PC spec's is : core i7 920, MB MSI X58 Pro-E, Kingstone 2x2 GB DDR3, Thermaltake 750w PSU with OS Win 7 (64) n Win XP (32), VGA ASUS EAH 5770/2D1S/1GD5/V2 with latest driver from ati/amd

I have played some games like : Mass Effect 2, Far Cry 2, Dragon Age Origin, COD Modren Warfare 2, Batman : Arkham Asylum, Stalker Call of Pripyat in Windows 7 (64) and Tropico, World in Conflict, Saboteur in Win XP (32)

I played the game in high/ ultra quality with 1366 X 768 in screen resolution

The games run without any problems except Saboteur in Win 7, that always crashed when I paused (pressing the esc button) the game.

I don't know what to do with your problem, 'cause I'm not the expert

But, I hope u can compare your system to mine n find the answer for u'r problem

Thank U ;)

FC360

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I heard that there is a compatibility issue with the 5770 and intel cpus. As far as I am aware the only people who have problems with this card all have Intel where as all those with AMD don't seem to have any problems.

G

I've read the same thing everywhere I search.

I have the same kind of problem, but now I don't see a change in the mouse pointer as much because I get the BSOD too frequently!

My system is:
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
i5-750
4G RAM: OCZ3P1600LV4GK

The story behind this computer rebuild is so long and so sad that I am not going to detail it here, but suffice it to say that this graphics card driver problem was the last thing I needed. I'm just hoping to find a fix.

mark_51

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I've read the same thing everywhere I search.

I have the same kind of problem, but now I don't see a change in the mouse pointer as much because I get the BSOD too frequently!

My system is:
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
i5-750
4G RAM: OCZ3P1600LV4GK

The story behind this computer rebuild is so long and so sad that I am not going to detail it here, but suffice it to say that this graphics card driver problem was the last thing I needed. I'm just hoping to find a fix.

Hi the probleme you have got nothing to do with your Card your ati diver on your cd's drivers made a bug with all the games,drivers,internet only why to
Uninstall the drivers the old fasion, (msconfig) in search. Sorry about my spelling I'm afrikaans

Status
Not open for further replies.