PC restarts after immediate shut down when upgraded to striker extreme

syedather

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hi,
I was having a intel DG35EC mobo & everything was fine, 3days before I upgraded to asus striker extreme mobo, & whole system ruined... There was sometimes boot & sometimes black screen. Some how installed new clear windows vista ultimate 64-bit. After that sometime system starts some time no response. When I shutdown my PC it was going to like, after windows have shutdown, the system was running with just black screen (all the fans are working of PC incl. Graphic cards).
So some how I managed to update my BIOS to 1901 (latest) & now everything was fine, EVERYTHING EXCEPT ONE ISSUE was fine, that is now when ever I try to shutdown my PC it restarts immediately after shutdown.
I have checked the OS for any error (registry, power options, system error options) but all are fine, so no-issue with OS.
So pls pls let me know is my mobo faulty or its a issue with power supply unit, so that I can replace my mobo...

System specs:
asus striker extreme mobo
intel core 2 duo e7300 2.66Ghz
4-GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM (first I had 6-GB RAM, but the mobo doesn't supports indivisual DIMM on one slot if another is empty of its corresponding, so in 4-GB it works fine...)
Hitachi 320HDD @ 7200rpm
ATI gigabyte 4870X2 graphic card
S-Tek 800W PSU

syedather

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Load the operating system disk in boot mode
select "repair existing installation"
your OS is corrupted.

Hi,
I have already tried this aswell, but no luck, & if OS is corrupt, I had same OS in my last mobo. So there is nothin wrong in OS...

rahul_2011

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hi. I was encountering a problem (not as severe as yours) with my desktop PC, where it kept restarting whenever I tried to shutdown. After suspecting everything from motherboard to BIOS to installed software, and after trying out several OS and BIOS settings in vain, I found a solution at the following URL that got pretty close to resolving the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299

Here's the most relevant extract from the URL above: "If your computer constantly restarts while you are using it, or if you are trying to shut down the computer after it has stopped unexpectedly, click to clear the Automatically restart check box. If you clear this check box, you receive an error message when the computer stops responding. This error message may describe the cause of the problem. You can also review the system log in Event Viewer to view the critical stop error that occurs when the computer restarts."

This method does not completely resolve the problem, but gets you closer to figuring out where exatcly the problem is (which is the stage that I'm at now). And most importantly, it will stop restarting the PC incessantly! Hope this helps.

If that's the case then you have a bad mother board, which is not unusual with that brand.
I think Gigabyte is probably a much better choice. or Intel
Change the board and the problems will be over.