AMD calls Nvidia's marketing bluff.

jennyh

Splendid
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20820

Key points :-

Huddy told HEXUS NVIDIA tended to work on a "different philosophy" to AMD. "AMD is competing on the basis of technology, whereas Nvidia is competing on the basis of marketing" he told us, adding, "I'm not a marketing guy, I'm an engineer".

"We've been working on DX11 games," said Huddy emphasising that, last time around, it had taken NVIDIA at least six months after DX10 launched before any game titles followed. AMD is working on over 20 titles currently in development, with two titles - BattleForge and Stalker - already available in DX11.

"NVIDIA is simply trying to market its way out of being late out with DX11 hardware"

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I'm glad ATi is actually pushing DirectX 11. Even though I don't plan on upgrading to a DirectX 11 card any time soon, I'm so sick of hearing about games still using DirectX 9. It's almost like people are using a "Don't fix it if it isn't broken" mentality for technology, christ -- If there's one place to not use that mentality.

Also I think it's funny people are saying DirectX 11 is gonna be like 10 when, like mentioned in the post, there's already a good handful of games out citing it even before it was released officially, when it took DirectX 10 six months. Please. :p We can't say that NVidia seems to want to push any new technology on anyone, they seem to be happy with reusing things, if you know what I mean. :sarcastic:

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
And their new gpu design that is great for high end computing ie to replace their Tesla line is not a great little marvel of design.

Did huddy also mention that when nvidia released a card the G80 it totally crushed the 2k series that ATI had out?

Nvidia is late with DX11 Hardware but really is it needed currently? It's not like ATI has a super cheap 50ish dollar card they can put in oem computers for windows 7 i'm sure as far as Nvidia is concerned they would have liked to come out before ATI in DX11 but delaying it for awhile wont hurt them as long as their product is an improvement over ATI's in performance.

The statement above is marketing by Huddy; you can't denounce marking and put yourself head in the same statement it's inherently hypocritical.

Or could be viewed as a company trying to hide a problem of their own making. [:mousemonkey]
http://www.techspot.com/news/36689-sources-say-amd-didnt-order-enough-40nm-wafers-for-evergreen.html

jennyh

Splendid
Did huddy also mention that when nvidia released a card the G80 it totally crushed the 2k series that ATI had out?

Did he mention how hard the FX 5800 got owned by the 9700? How far back is he supposed to go, just as far as the last time Nvidia won at anything?

Nvidia is late with DX11 Hardware but really is it needed currently?

Yawn...

The statement above is marketing by Huddy; you can't denounce marking and put yourself head in the same statement it's inherently hypocritical.

What a load of crap. The facts are plain, they really are. ATI have the cards, Nvidia don't. Where is the marketing here? Is ATI trying to sell something they don't have, or lose at? Are Nvidia marketing non-existent cards?

Agreed. But hey, better to not have enough than too many, hmm?

jennyh

Splendid
According to several unnamed sources cited by Fudzilla

Wake up and smell the coffee Nvidiots. Nvidia are tanking hard and the longer you wait the more disappointed you're gonna be.

Nvidia are finished, they cannot compete with ATI's superior technology.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Too bad i don't drink coffee and nvidia is still making a profit and is worth the same as the entire AMD that includes ATI.

So who is the idiot the person who likes a company or the person who dogmatically attacks all those who like said company.

@shadow
"And their new gpu design that is great for high end computing ie to replace their Tesla line is not a great little marvel of design.
What on EARTH makes you think gamers need that?! It's money out of our pockets!"

it's in response to
"AMD is competing on the basis of technology, whereas Nvidia is competing on the basis of marketing" he told us, adding, "I'm not a marketing guy, I'm an engineer".

I'm an engineer part of that line and basis of technology. Tech is Tech products are products just because you wont buy one doesn't mean it's worthless the statement about marking is maybe true if nvidia was making statements about gaming performance left and right but I've hardly seen anything about gaming in regards to Fermi.
----
"Nvidia is late with DX11 Hardware but really is it needed currently?Yes, It's not like ATI has a super cheap 50ish dollar card they can put in oem computers for windows 7 If you've seen ATI's charts, sub-$100 HD5K series cards will be coming out before GT300!i"

But it's not out now? why you rag on nvidia about only have cards in planning but say it's alright for ATI? It's isn't out at release of windows 7 end of story if it's out before nvidia then great for ATI then they have a strong market kind of, depends on OEM agreements.
----
i'm sure as far as Nvidia is concerned they would have liked to come out before ATI in DX11 but delaying it for awhile wont hurt them as long as their product is an improvement over ATI's in performance.Uh. NO. nVidia will lose plenty of market share due to ATI's aggressive Price/Performance.

This is true to an extent but it's not like everybody is buying new cards right now. Only a small portion of market share will be lost not everybody buys new cards every few months let alone not everyone buys new cards even once a year like i do.
--
I swear you know i don't really buy from ATI but i'm not dogmatically trig to get it destroyed ATI is competition to Nvidia which is necessary just like Nvidia is competition to ATI and again is necessary, frankly you're a fanboy when you spew hate for competition instead of just personal discord.

jennyh

Splendid
Too bad i don't drink coffee and nvidia is still making a profit and is worth the same as the entire AMD that includes ATI.

Nvidia aren't making a profit and haven't done in months. Without an x86 licence Nvidia are worth even less.

So who is the idiot the person who likes a company or the person who dogmatically attacks all those who like said company.

The idiot is the person who refuses to accept the company they like is rotten to the core. Being an Nvidia fanboy just totally defies all logic, especially now. ATI have given us faster cards at cheaper prices - sometimes 3-4x cheaper, yet still some fanboys continue to support Nvidia. What did Nvidia *ever* give you that ATI haven't offered at the same or better performance level for a LOT less?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I have own 4 ATI cards the great little 9700 Pro which lasted 2 weeks died had to get a new one and the new one died i must have been cursed cuz i know faliure rate shouldn't be that great anyways after that great little card i held for like 1-2 years on my main system.

then i got a nvidia 6800

replaced it with a X1600 no problems fine card

Then i bought a 2600? ionno that piece of *** was nothing but headakes as it wouldn't run in 8 bit mode or some *** which totally broke some of my older games which i enjoy from time to time and i had to RMA it after a month 2nd card lasted but still hated that stupid thing it always had little headakes it wouldn't work to well with my tv at the time drivers left boxes and other *** which i had to baby a ton to get the picture right it was the first card i ever felt i wasted my money on a card

replaced that with a 8800GTS which works so great a few more months down the line i got another one and have been running it on a machine ever sense then although i use a 260 on my main computer.

basically in short
Bad shitty ass experiences with ATI cards in the past
due to manufacture issues and store issues with getting a broken card replaced
and with their drivers and CCC interface.

Never had any problems with Nvidia so far so you see why.

I don't hate one company like some people on this fourm seem to flamboyantly display i just wont buy from them.

ok mr "Being an Nvidia fanboy just totally defies all logic" so does that mean you switch favorites over time cuz i doubt it. omfglafjdofidsf DX11 *** BUY NOW BUY NOW NOTHING ELSE SHADDAUPPP DX11 OMFG LOOK HOW GREAT 5870 IS FOR IT's PRICE omfg asdfasj;dfsh EYEFINITY gahhhhhh. too bad i wont be blowing 400 bucks on a gpu any time soon and performance in the 100-200 level is not really an improvement from my 260 only good thing is HDMI audio it's equipped with but i have no faith in ATI card's and TV's

and

". ATI have given us faster cards at cheaper prices - sometimes 3-4x cheaper" well that so called 3-4 times cheaper isn't int he main stream price section 100-200 which is where i usually buy from and really where the hell is it ever 1/4th the price of another card?

Frankly I may be a fanboy but your a fanatic fanboy which is hardly a good thing to be a fanatic about anything.

the last ATI one doesn't really count it was laptop.

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

Quality cards, quality drivers, quality cooling, exclusive features (physX), BETTER performance...

And ok theyre not cheaper, but theyre about the same price when performance is the same (ie. 4870 vs GTX260)

Ive never had the misfortune of owning an ATI card...but i know 2 people who have and they BOTH had problems with their cards. One with overheating and the other had driver issues....NEVER have i had such problems with Nvidia even from the Riva TNT2 days!! End of. Oh...and jus to add, didnt you have to RMA a 5850 recently???

And before some1 says im a feckin fanboy...please dont...

If you had 2 cars by 2 different company's ....one had no end of problems and the other ran fine without a hitch for years...which one would you vote for!?

ATI is to NVIDIA as VAUXHALL is to BMW

randomizer

Champion
There is so much BS in this thread I don't think I have the time to reply to it all. Anyone basing the quality of a company's product by a few people's experiences HAS to be delusional. For starters, the board partners are the ones you should be complaining to, you know, the ones that actually make the cards. Secondly, my own experiences are that both companies make quality products. However, I won't be drawing any conclusions based on that like the rest of you.

Oh, and yes we need DX11. You people can drag your technological feet all you want but nothing is ever "good enough."

Fanboy alert!

Sorry smoggy, had too. And that line, 'never had the misfortune' blah blah is about as biased as you can get. Furthermore you never having an ATI card really sinks your argument. I've had several of both, and I really think they are about equal. They both have their problems, but most of the time they both work.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

You sir sound like a fanboy of club ATI.

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

Biased? Its not as if ive based my opinion on bullshit because from my experience ATI cards have problems, Nvidia cards dont...what do you want me to say?? Just imagine this response to someone that asks my experience with ATI vs Nvidia:

'Well, from my experience the only ATI cards i have personally come across had problems and Nvidia had no problems...but get the ATI card!'

@ randomiser... Dont you think its a HUGE co-incidence that the ONLY ATI cards i have come across were crap?? If they were soo few and far between then surely neither of them would get a bad one, or even just one of them?

Go to ATI subsection in forum, now look down the list....i see MANY MANY posts about problems....

Now do the same with Nvidia...

Proof and pudding come to mind?

What we are trying to explain to you is you have based your opinion on just one or two cases out of thousands of cards sold. And you just said it wasn't your experience but someone else's. I hate to burst your NVidia bubble, but they are defective too, they have driver problems too (Win Vista at release anyone?).

randomizer

Champion

You have based your opinion on a tiny sample, so yes, that is bias.

Yes I do. Because I haven't come across any cards that have been crap (except by design, such as noisy fans). But I guess my experience doesn't matter because it's not yours.

Thanks for pointing out that there are n00bs with problems in both sections, that only further cements my argument.

I don't know the market share breakdown, so that would lessen that somewhat. I don't think though that it is 3 to 1. In fact, a quick browse shows it less than 2 to 1. Anyway, my main point was that they both have issues at times.