Intel i7-860 CPU
Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard
8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
Zalman CNPS10 Extreme CPU Cooler
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case
Antec TP-750 Blue PSU
Sapphire Radeon 5870 Graphics Card
WD 1TB SATA2 HDD

I am very experienced in computer assembly, have built several hundred systems. Very carefully put all components together. Double checked all connectors, etc. After plugging in the power cord, I noticed a solid green light on the Standby Power LED. Assuming all was OK, I hit the power switch and BANG! Heard a loud snap in the power supply (like the fuse blew). Immediately pulled the plug and again double-checked everything. Put the power cord back in and again the green LED glows solid on the motherboard. Removed video card, hard drive and all case fans from power. Still nothing. I have sent a trouble request to Antec, but it will probably be next week before I hear back. Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks,
Mauiguy

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Try a known working PSU before doing anything with one thats in question. If all your other components work with a different PSU, RMA the Antec with Newegg instead of dealing with the manufacturer. Probably get a quicker resolution.

If you look in the PSU, can you see anything melted or a capacitor in fragments?

G

Thanks for the quick reply!

I had a new 350W PSU here, and took out the Antec and replaced it with the new one. I did not install the video board (thought it might be too much for the smaller PSU) but everything else was hooked up, and it runs great!! I have never, in over 30 years had a bad NEW power supply, but I guess anything is possible. I will contact NewEgg for an RMA. By peering into the Antec, I couldn't see anything burned, broken, etc. and it had no burnt smell.

Thanks again, skora!

mauiguy