When is i7 hypertrading coming out?

nicholaskai

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I need some recommendation on i7Ht and I wanna know your opinion.

some of my friends had been persuading me to buy i9, on the other hand, some of my friends told me that they are waiting for i9 to be out
and then buy the best i7Ht as the price would be down that time and no hip problems. So I decided that I should buy i7HT when it is out,
can you tell me which i7Ht you recommend and is the best for overclocking, etc.... And is there any more other version coming out for i7Ht?

nicholaskai

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

I need some recommendation on i7Ht and I wanna know your opinion.

some of my friends had been persuading me to buy i9, on the other hand, some of my friends told me that they are waiting for i9 to be out
and then buy the best i7Ht as the price would be down that time and no hip problems. So I decided that I should buy i7HT when it is out,
can you tell me which i7Ht you recommend and is the best for overclocking, etc.... And is there any more other version coming out for i7Ht?

You're confused. All i7 processors have HT and they are named i7, not i7HT. The i7-920 was released Q4'08. The i7-930 is excellent if you want to overclock and, if you can afford it, the 980X is the fastest one. All i7 processors can be overclocked. I don't know what an i9 is or when it might be available, but please stop listening to your friends.

While I'm thinking of it - On a related note: Just what is it that you are planning on doing with your computer? The reason I ask is that an i7 can be a bit of overkill for a gaming system, and you may be able to create a system better tailored to your needs by looking at alternative combinations.

(Freely admitting I use my i7 for gaming, as well as other tasks).

nicholaskai

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

What do you mean by overkill, you mean too powerful or too expensive for a gaming motherboard?

I am trying to built my new customize pc and needed to know which is the best hardware to buy inorder to build the best performance pc with nowadays technology. My budget is only $2200, so now I looking up the net and asking for recommendation for the best gaming motherboard , and the other hardwares through you experts, as I cannot decide it.
I dont care what price is the motherboard and I JUST need the best gaming motherboard that can last me till the next generation of computer

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Scotteq's concern is probably with regards to your whole system. An i7 (whether 1366 or 1156) system does cost a lot of money and if gaming is your aim, then your cash might be better suited to go to a better video card.

Since your budget is a bit high, you could go for an i7 (1366) and probably a 5850 (or maybe even a 5870).

* An i7 is "too-powerful" for gaming since no game could create and use 8-threads on a continuous basis. Though in the future that may change...

Exactly my point - From a strict gaming point of view: For your thousand bucks you'll get more GAME performance from a $700 video card and a $300 processor - by far - than you would going the other way around. That's why I questioned why you would want a thousand dollar 6 core, when that money won't buy all that many frames per second over a $200~300 quad. The $700 saved there would go a long, long way towards beefing up graphics, which absolutely will deliver superior results - especially at higher resolutions.

Even better: Let's say you've already budgeted for a $300 graphics card. Then you could take $400 of your CPU money to get a $700 card. And use the other $300 to buy a very good 24 inch monitor. And you'd still have enough to buy an i7 930, or an AMD PHII 965 Black Edition. Then you can add in a mild overclock - (which we'd be happy to help with) - for a little FREE extra performance as the icing on the cake of a sweet gaming rig :)

nicholaskai

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Like I said before, I need a computer that can last me three years till the future. In addition, with the speed of progressing in nowadays technology, spending the money on i7-960 processor would be worthy enough for the upcoming years, or else, there would a possibility that I will need to change my computer the second year

Is i7 perfect? I mean does it have any side effects or problems like bugs,etc...? And does anyone know when will i7 drop its price?

excelblue

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Even a low end i7 (eg. i7-860 or i7-930) should be enough to last three years. Processors these days are getting to a level where apps can't quite utilize all their power.

I have an i7 860, which I purchased for $240 after everything. It's an awesome processor - extremely fast, very stable (no issues at all during load testing), easily overclockable, and runs relatively cool. The processor eases thru my multiple instances of virtual machines, Folding @Home, and audio/video encoding.

The cost of something higher-end like the i7 960 is not worth it. The only reason they exist is because enthusiasts prefer to have the best they can afford, even if it serves no real purpose. For the price of the 960, you can get something cheaper for now and upgrade 2yr later with the rest of the money. In fact, that will last you much longer than just buying something high-end.

There's no reason to wait until something new comes out because there's always new technology. The idea is to buy something when you think it's worth it.

For example, unless you have a clear need for the i7, I recommend that you take a look at the i5 6xx series. They're dual core processors with hyperthreading. Most apps can actually utilize the power that provides, and at the higher clock rates, it will outperform an equivalent-costing i7 for some common tasks. The power savings is also nice.