GeForce 6100 AM2 with 9500gt?

tommyrocket

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
So I bought a GeForce 9500 GT for my brother, and put it in tower. Plugged the monitor in, and it didn't work. The fan ran, but the computer didn't see the card. So then I put my old card in there, a old GeForce 7300GS...and it worked. Is the new card not compatible? Or, maybe not enough power in the power supply as it's only 350 watts, which the card says it needs.

There has to be a way to make it work on this motherboard from BIOSTAR...usually all cards work if there is a PCI-E x16 slot which it is in.

tommyrocket

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
It seems its just a power supply insufficiency. On his power supply, it says "350 watts max". Meaning, it can go to a max of 350 which the card needs. It currently says, on the power supply sticker, that its total wattage is 330. I wonder if there is a way to run at max power, or something like that. Otherwise I'll just buy a new power supply for him and it'll be fine.

edit-
And, oh yes. I did try it in mine. The reason I came to the conclusion about not having enough power is because the fan has an LED light on it, and is green. On my 750 watt it glows green. On his, no light at all, just the fan and everything running. So I'm guessing its just not getting enough power to be able to send a monitor signal and actually detect the card from windows.

tommyrocket

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Yeah, I'd tried doing that, and basically the problem occured before the 7300gs was put in. It accepted that card directly. The power supply is running on 330 watts right now.

Meaning, its not running at full power or whatever, which would be 350 watts. Anyone know how to increase its wattage to its full potential?

Minimal requirements on the box state it needs 350 watts.

TheViper

Distinguished
PSU's don't run at max constantly and you wouldn't want them to anyway. The sustained figure (330 watts here) is actually more important than the peak wattage (350 watts). Would you run your car at top RPM's all day?

Given that the minimum the card wants is 350 watts, you definitely need to get a new PSU to about 400 watts sustained.